Rims & Tires advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdreeser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Looks good, much better without stock wheels and tires

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Bimmer so what size and offset did you go with?

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my search for the ultimate mud and winter mountain snowflake tire design I found that General Tire has recently come out with a Grabber X3 MT and a Grabber A/T X. Also, AMP came out with a new mud terrain.

I run General Altimax Arctic on my cars and so I had an interest. Read some excellent reviews on the X3 for off roading, but unfortunately neither design comes in my preferred 285 75R17 size. It's a new design of tires options for the 35 12.50R17 size range though, but then the MT doesn't have the mountain snowflake as was stated in the initial reports.

Another new MT though in the 35 12.50R17 size that does have the mountain snowflake rating is the AMP Mud Terrain Attack (M/T A). It is an ultra aggressive mud tire. This is the only MT tire that I know of outside of the somewhat lesser aggressive Duratrac A/T which meets certain northern state and Canada mandatory winter tire road requirements. I kind of taking a liking to it even though it's wider than my preferred 285 width for winter driving of the Power Wagon. It meets the winter driving traction laws and is still an aggressive mud terrain like the Toyo, whereas, the Toyo doesn't have the mountain snowflake.

I have toyo MT and they suck in the snow vs my nitto trail grapplers i had before. I highly reccomend the trail grapplers for year round driving. Mine did not have any disadvantages in the snow. All the toyo MT did was hydroplane all over the road. Whether it was dry or wet snow.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I have toyo MT and they suck in the snow vs my nitto trail grapplers i had before. I highly reccomend the trail grapplers for year round driving. Mine did not have any disadvantages in the snow. All the toyo MT did was hydroplane all over the road. Whether it was dry or wet snow.
Unfortunately, the Nitto Trail Grapplers tires do not have the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol. Otherwise, they would be my choice. Some states requires for one to put on tire chains under winter conditions to proceed down the highway if the tires do not have the symbol.

Last edited:

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, the Nitro Trail Grapplers tires do not have the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol. Otherwise, they would be my choice. Some states requires for one to put on tire chains under winter conditions to proceed down the highway if the tires do not have the symbol.

Really? I what states require the snow symbol that you need to put chains on?
Im not calling you a liar, I just never heard that before, and I live in pennsylvania. They did pass a law in pa where it is illegal to only have (2) snow tires on your car now. Too many oeople were only putting snow tires on the front and rear end was kickkng out around snowy turns.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Oregon required it on Highway 84 last winter on my way to Portland from Colorado. We were trying to drive nonstop, but had to spend the night in Baker City due to my tires with the symbol were allowed on the highway, however, I still was required to carry chains too. I could not find tire chains in town. Had to wait until they lifted the restrictions along both the Deadman Pass and along the Columbia River. My trailer required tire chains too of which I was carrying. The alternative would be to drive around the restrictions, but it was too far to go through Washington.

Anyhow, the Nitto EXO Grappler AWT does have the symbol. Just researched it. My next tires will be 285 75R17 and those aren't listed for the EXO. 285's are wide enough for our normal Colorado icy dry powered snow. Anything wider and the truck would float on top of it instead of going through it.

Oregon snow is normally heavy and wet. Laws in each state change. I googled "trip check Oregon traction laws" and found their winter tire requirements. They posted on display boards tire requirements when I was traveling I84.

Last edited:

Sdreeser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Nice man, are those fuel trophy wheels with the headlock painted?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Anyone know anything about Patriot tires like mileage warranty how well they wear balancing issues...???

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I used to think Nitto Tires could do no wrong. Used countless sets in extreme heat for both street and Open Track use back in my Road **** / Instruction days. Went through [literally] stacks of 555R's, NT-01's, NT-05's, etc.

But when we got the wife's new Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, it came with Ridge Grapplers, they cracked like hell all over, from the sidewall to the contact patch in between the lugs and everything in just over Two years and 25k miles!

At first, I thought it was due to me running the 35's on the Jeep 'aired down' constantly (other than for long high-speed, high load freeway road trips). But, even the spare (which has never seen the road) developed serious cracking in between the tread blocks.

Contacted Nitto, they said it was 'normal' and wouldn't do anything about it. :argue:

So, my new Yokohama Geolander 003's just arrived, and will be going on this week.

Something to think about before you purchase any Nittos. Especially if you live out in the extreme heat and high UV exposure areas like I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01