Rod knock? Replace engine or rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I have a 2001 ram 1500 5.9 4x4 and I for the past few days I've heard the faint sound of what sounds like rod knock. It might not be, but Idk, the truck has always had oil and normal mantinence.

I've never had any problem like this with the truck before always cranked on the first try and all. But one day I fired it up and I heard knocking.

The only other noise I've noticed is what almost sounds like the noise a broken exhaust bolt would make, but the exhaust is all new headers and all so I don't think it's exhaust noise.

But either way if the engine is knocking and needs to be replaced what is the better way of doing it? Am I really going to save money if I have someone rebuild it? Or would I be better off just replacing it?

And i wouldn't mind an extra power boost so do y'all think i should replace engine with something else, hemi maybe? Or too much hassle?

Any input is appreciated thanks

OP
OP
C

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
No it's constant as far as I can tell. I haven't really tried to drive it for the last few days cause I'm afraid to make it worse

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Junk yard motor... swap it in, pull yours and build /upgrade and when the cheap junkyard one quits, swap the fresh upgrade one in... keeps the truck going while rebuilding and upgrading slowly and stretching the cost out if that is an issue

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll likely need a crank if its been going for awhile, but if it hasn't been going for too long might be able to get it machined and go with undersized bearings. But a machine shop will be able to tell for sure.

+1 to the junkyard engine, I was lucky to get mine out of a durango with 87k miles on it.