Roll Pan Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So I know they can be welded on. What other ways can they be installed if I don't want it welled on?

"Any and all information is greatly appreciated as always"

And what brands do you all recommend?

I'm considering this for down the road.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I had originally mounted mine with self tapping sheet metal screws and it held fine. My bodyshop gave me a smoking deal on the welding and paint work so its now on there forever.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You can also get screw in ones. Street scenes has their steel and urethane roll pans for your year.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
same scenario with me. bolt on for a few years just fine but got a great price to weld the pan and the doors at the same time. then the truck got repainted.

I had originally mounted mine with self tapping sheet metal screws and it held fine. My bodyshop gave me a smoking deal on the welding and paint work so its now on there forever.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I knew I wanted it welded from the get go. Old school....lol

dsc00415crop.jpg

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Like everybody else, on my '07 I had the bolt-in pan and eventually got one welded in for a good price when I was getting my tailgate shaved.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
I also have the Street Scene bolt on rollpan...did not want the weld on one on the dually just in case i laid it out and damaged the rollpan...it would be easy to replace...but i do like weld on rollpans, as long as the body work and paint are done right.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Due to where I live and the other idiots on the road that just love to tailgate, I prefer a good bumper. I also have a 2 inch receiver hitch which I always have a hitch in that extends 1' 6" out the back end. Had one person test it already. Tore the whole front end off his riceburner.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I also have the Street Scene bolt on rollpan...did not want the weld on one on the dually just in case i laid it out and damaged the rollpan...it would be easy to replace...but i do like weld on rollpans, as long as the body work and paint are done right.

That's the problem, if/when damaged it's a major repair. I was thinking of adding something along the lines of a old school hot rod style nerf bar. But honestly I like it totally clean...

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I had the street scenes hidden hitch behind my '07 roll pan, it didn't do a whole hell of a lot considering I got rear ended by a guy going 120km/hr when we'd all slowed down to 30km/hr. Taco'd the frame and pushed the bed 6" into the cab, roll pan or bumper wouldn't have mattered much.

Oh, and if you think the rear bumper is going to help in a collision, I challenge you to remove yours and see how light it is. This isn't a 70s pick up with a solid beam behind the bumper, it's a thin piece of steel that will bend and break just like the body sheet metal. Mostly they'll help you from damaging your tailgate if you back into something but that's about it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
A 70mph crash there is little that'll protect you.

This is the 5000# hidden hitch.
dsc00365web.jpg

And this of course is the original OEM monster.
dsc00357web.jpg

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want a bolt-on for my truck, but it's like 9 years old now and it'll be tough to get a perfect paint match since mine has seen all these Texas summers. I really don't even need a hitch these days, but would like a hidden hitch just incase.

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Wow, thank you for all the responses.

I'm just not 100% I want it welded though they do look amazing. I got allot of thinking to do. Plus the only thing that scares me is if some idiot runs into me.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'm just not 100% I want it welded though they do look amazing. I got allot of thinking to do. Plus the only thing that scares me is if some idiot runs into me.

Do like I do leave your hitch n the receiver. Someone rear-ends you their vehicle will be totaled. Not easy to get that ball out of a radiator without destroying the whole front end of a car. Last time some idiot hit mine I made them remove the car with a towtruck, I refused to et them pull my receiver hitch out. Car was totaled. They tried to sue but due to them rear-ending me they lost.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
^^Reasons it's illegal to drive around with a hitch in the receiver when not towing out our way. Too many minor collisions with major damage due to the number of trucks on the roads out here. It's also hard to leave a hitch in place when using a hiden hitch and flip-up liscense plate.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine

It is definitely a bit of the long tail in a room full of rocking chair syndrome. I'm obviously an advocate of the old school welded pans. Back in the day each pan was hand crafted to the vehicle and to be honest I don't think many had the skill to build one that could be bolted in. :) The problem with the bolt in pans I have seen is that I don't like the width of the gap between the top of the pan and bottom of the tail gate. Like most mods, if you do one thing you have to change three other things to make it work. I added a 3/4" piece of angle iron to the top of the pan and eliminated the spare tire rack under the truck. I have even heard where a guy custom built his tail gate hinges to close the seam even more. As for having a hitch sticking out the a$$, it really isn't the look I'm going after... Roll pans are not for everyone. :Big Laugh:

qr4w.jpg

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^Reasons it's illegal to drive around with a hitch in the receiver when not towing out our way. Too many minor collisions with major damage due to the number of trucks on the roads out here. It's also hard to leave a hitch in place when using a hiden hitch and flip-up liscense plate.

Dang not very nice of the politicians to make that law. 90% of trucks I see in south Louisiana leave their hitch in the receiver. Mostly due to the shear number of people that own boats or some other trailer.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang not very nice of the politicians to make that law. 90% of trucks I see in south Louisiana leave their hitch in the receiver. Mostly due to the shear number of people that own boats or some other trailer.

Practically everyone here leaves theirs in. I do because it gives me a little more distance between my bumper and something that could possibly hit it, and if someone is walking by that close to my truck, they're looking inside for something to steal...and I give their shins a nice little surprise :happy3:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Practically everyone here leaves theirs in. I do because it gives me a little more distance between my bumper and something that could possibly hit it, and if someone is walking by that close to my truck, they're looking inside for something to steal...and I give their shins a nice little surprise :happy3:

I have hit my shin with my own hitch so I know what the feeling is.

:grd: