Rolling Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayGee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummings 6.7
Good morning well it is over here in oz
I purchased a new 2500 ram 6 months ago, luv the truck beast of a tow vehicle
It was sold to me new converted to right hand drive Australian compliance by the dealer it's only done 6000 klms highway use.

Came across a problem last trip away where i nearly lost the rig into the water @ the boat ramp

Before anybody starts jumping out with senarios which don't apply these are the facts.

Reversed rig down the ramp foot brake on transmission in park keys in my pocket walked down to trailer post undid shackle & winch strap, climbed onto boat started outboards let them warm up about a minute then drove boat off the trailer have allways done this.

It was still dark & fortunatelly for me others were launching @ the ramps they started yelling out to me that my truck was rolling into the water.

Prob because similar happened 2 days earlier i proccessed what they were on about i quickly engaged outboards into forward & drove boat back onto trailer which held rig from rolling back any futher

Took dodge back to dealer yesterday no registered faults on the computor nothing visibly wrong under the truck.

Has anybody had similar happen or aware what caused the prob ???

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When you went back in the truck:
a) was the transmission still in P?
b) was the parking brake still engaged?

The only thing i can imagine is that the truck slipped down, and not rolled down.
This because i believe that not 2 things (P transmission block pin and park brake) fail together and if both became loose your truck and trailer was probably to heavy and would have rolled fast to hold it in time with your boat.

Chris

OP
OP
J

JayGee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummings 6.7
When you went back in the truck:
a) was the transmission still in P?

Keys were in my pocket can only be in P if in any other gear one cannot remove keys from ignition

b) was the parking brake still engaged?

Yes it was

The only thing i can imagine is that the truck slipped down, and not rolled down.

Definately rolled did not skid previous day saw it with my own eyes fortunately i was still in the car & hit brakes to stop roll

truck and trailer was probably to heavy and would have rolled fast to hold it in time with your boat.

I did originally that both truck & trailer with boat sat on ramp no probs not till i drove boat off trailer did truck start rolling [not skiding]

This happened 3 times over a 5 day period evey time only when no boat was on trailer so cant blame weight of boat