Rough country 6"...need some knowledge and guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New guy here need so info from you guys in the know..
I just sold my 3rd gen to my dad 2 weeks ago because he loves my truck and had to have it lol. So I have been on the look out for a 4gen Ram to replace it. I always wanted to lift my 3rd gen but never had the time or the extra money to do it. Well I have found me a really nice used 2014 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with 18,900 miles 1 owner from Michigan according to car fax for a pretty good deal at the dealership about 45 miles from me. I have been working out a deal back and forth over the phone and got them down to a pretty good price. I have not seen the truck in person but have seen tons of pictures. I am going to drive it this Saturday and if it checks out I'm going to purchase it. Now here is my question. The dealer installed a brand new rough country 6" lift with brand new xd's and 35 12.50 20 tires. Apparently the dealer decided in the month of December they were going to order some kits and install them on some of the used trucks they have. My question is how is the rough country lift kit for the 4 gen Ram? I have not researched or kept up with it in a while to know how these lifts are holding up for the 4gens. I would prefer to have a Bds lift as that's the lift I wanted for my 3rd gen but this is what this truck has so it is what it is. This will be a pavement pounder with very little off road other than driving down a dirt road during hunting season, and tow a 16 center console bay boat. This will also not be a daily driver more so a weekend warrior. Just wondering your thoughts on this lift and if there is anything I need to know about it or look for. I need you guys help in a big way before making this purchase. Thanks in advance.

I posted this on another site and got a lot of good info there. Trying to educate myself as much as possible.

Jershipe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the big complaint with the rough country lift compared to the zone or bds is that rcx doesn't relocate the rear control arm mounts. They just use shorter upper arms to correct the drive shaft angles. If your not a serious off-road guy. I don't think it makes much difference. I have the 4 inch kit that I modified a little for some more lift. I love it . I don't off-road. But I drive mine daily and put 22 to 25 a year on my vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got the RCX 6" lift on my 2012 crew cab. I also have 35x12.5's, but I'm still running the stock 20" rims. Lately, my "off roading" has been limited to muddy fields and gravel roads. I'm only 30 minutes from an off road park, but don't have the time to get there much any more.

I have been very happy with the RCX lift on my truck. While it does handle slightly different than a stock height truck, it still handles around town and freeway driving just fine. A couple months ago, I took a 4 hour road trip with no complaints at all.

The only issue I have had, has been due to installer error. The truck was already lifted when I bought it, and one of the sway bar links had been installed upside down. Being installed upside down required the link to be rotated 90* in order to clear the steering. This also caused the link bushings to bind and wear prematurely.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been lifted now for over a year and a half on my 6" rough country.

Absolutley zero issues. You have nothing to worry about.

Good luck.

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the truck in question. If everything checks out good I'm picking it up
Saturday

Attachments

• IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 52

Jershipe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very nice. Maximum steel metallic. Same color as mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love the XD surge rims, just got my set put on about 2 weeks ago! I'm hoping to have the RC 6" put on my truck also some time in the near future. Hope all works out for you!

Attachments

• kevs truck with rims.jpg
    kevs truck with rims.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I love the color. One of the biggest reasons I want it

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love the XD surge rims, just got my set put on about 2 weeks ago! I'm hoping to have the RC 6" put on my truck also some time in the near future. Hope all works out for you!

Thanks me too

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea that's a good looking truck. I know mines a 3rd gen, but I've had no issues with my RC lift the 4.5 years it's been on my truck.

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the grey truck fell though. Looked good in the pictures but was very rusted out from being up north on salt roads and had a lot of dings and dents. I decided to pass. I however found a 2016 big horn with a brand new rcx lift and brand new rims and tires that I got to choose. They made a killer deal on it and now its mine. Here is my 2005 thunder road hemi Ram 4x4 and my new 2016 big horn 4x4

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If this 16 is half as good as my 05 was I will be more than happy.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 53

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on the new truck. 20k miles on my RC lift and not issues at all. Only thing I plan on changing is putting on some Fox Coilovers in the front.

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on the new truck. 20k miles on my RC lift and not issues at all. Only thing I plan on changing is putting on some Fox Coilovers in the front.

Thank you. Yeah I want to put fox in both the front and back