Rough ride with bilsteins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the torque spec on the top nut?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
408in lbs / 34 ft lbs / 45 Newton Meters , a pretty stiff tq for a nut that's not easy to get to with out proper tooling ...e57d2ef965e12290745d119c29c6d6d3.png

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bilsteins on the top perch ride rough.. Ive had them on a f150 and on my ram.. They are awesome on smooth pavement , but ****** on rough terrain.. I switched to rancho quicklifts and they are much better as a all around shock.. I spend my time on trails and the billies will shake the **** out of your truck.. They are a great shock, just not on the top perch..
Unbelievable , I've had mine on the "top perch " for over 25 k , I too spend a lot of time off road / trails and gravel ...
Me personally I think they are great ! Certinly not " ****** " .
Fwiw guys just try them out for yourself , this proves they seem very different to diff folks because me and Clay have complete opposite experience with the bils @ + 2.8 top perch setting .

swh822

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
R.L.K . What size tires are you on ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
R.L.K . What size tires are you on ?

Stock wheels and tires Sir ... soon to be 17" wheels with 35 x 12.50s

e0a955151551935f2e561b3d960cc0c5.jpgc562a56b2477a9cd76df8b3e3a255775.jpg

DeeZee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience as well and perhaps fishing for advice.

Had bils installed @ 2.1 at my local 4x4 shop. Very knowledgeable mechanic with 30+ years experience. Had to wait a week for alignment but given roads here in SW Ontario were very wet/snowy/slushy all week, -5 to -10 degrees celsius, and the low KM's I drive daily, low risk to tire wear.

Initial couple days, found ride heights out of whack. Driver side was exactly level, passenger side still had over 1.5 inches of rake. After about a week, everything seemed to settle and now I have the typical 0.75 inches of rake on both sides (PERFECT).
Front passenger side was badly out of alignment and was corrected as well as a minor correction on driver side.

My only issue is the ride quality just like the OP mentioned. I wouldn't go as far as calling it "rough", but its definitely stiffer. That being said, the reduced body roll in the corners is amazing. However, any imperfections in the pavement are felt in detail, especially through the accelerator pedal. Depending on the shape of the bump, there is almost a light "pop" sound now coming from the front end that I'm fairly certain wasn't there before. Its not loud, but its definitely audible and can be felt.
I called the mechanic and asked if there "is any possibility" that the top nut has let off and become loose but he advised "No", it was torqued and tight as hell when he buttoned it all back together. I imagine the ride would be much worse if the spring seat was installed improperly.

Can anyone else relate to this / any advice? I would like to check the nuts myself but cant really figure out how exactly.
Any help is appreciated!!!