Rust! On the INSIDE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my Ram used a month or two ago. I looked over all the important stuff underneath and under the hood before I bought it, but I never thought to look under the seats.

Today I stuck my head under the driver's seat to see how much room was under there to install an amplifier, and what did I find?

RUST! All the exposed metal parts under there are covered with rust. All the bolts, the seat brackets, other miscellaneous parts...wtf? I mean, it's not like anything is rusted through and ready to fall apart or anything, but just a thin coat of rust on everything under there. Same thing under all of the other seats.

It just doesn't seem normal for interior parts to rust like that, when they aren't exposed to the elements. Did I buy a truck that was in a flood? Or do these trucks just come with rust pre-installed on everything?

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check the passenger side under the seat. If you are willing, check under the carpet as well. Where the truck has been in the last twelve months can help determine if the truck has been in a flood.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently read that vehicles with hurricane/flood damage will be hitting the market anytime now. I'd pull the carfax if you're unsure of where your truck originated from. Not sure what recourse you'd have but I'd personally be interested to know.

OP
OP
U

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the passenger side under the seat. If you are willing, check under the carpet as well. Where the truck has been in the last twelve months can help determine if the truck has been in a flood.

There is rust under all the seats. All the bolts and seat brackets, all the hardware under there has rust on it.

The CarFax report is clean - it was a lease turn-in, single owner, local, no insurance claims, no major repairs, clean title. No recent major flooding around here that I know of, though there are some small streams that overflow on occasion.

I'll pull up some of the carpet this weekend and see if I find any seaweed or dead fish under there...

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe 4 wheeling in deep water? That rust would concern me.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would concern me as well. I flooded my 2012 JK a couple times but it had drain plugs. I'm guessing the RAM inside tubs are not as prepped for water?

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would also depend on your climate. Around here there is enough salt in the air alone to make rust form. If it’s bare metal inside or out it will form a skim of rust on it. The joys of living near the ocean.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Posibly the Leaking Third Brake light issue?

-K

OP
OP
U

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

-K

I thought of that when I first saw the rust on the bolts, which are right on the floor - but the rust is on everything under the seat, including the brackets and other hardware which are a good 5-6 inches above the floor.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I thought of that when I first saw the rust on the bolts, which are right on the floor - but the rust is on everything under the seat, including the brackets and other hardware which are a good 5-6 inches above the floor.

My thought was that once the water gets inside, then it becomes moisture in the air and can condense anywhere inside. If it condenses on a bare metal surface...

-K

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would also depend on your climate. Around here there is enough salt in the air alone to make rust form. If it’s bare metal inside or out it will form a skim of rust on it. The joys of living near the ocean.

Lived on the beach in California for over 30 years....never had rust inside like that.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a couple inches of water in my cab when I was putting in my dads pontoon boat at a ****** lake access. I bought moisture absorbing packets and put them under my seats. Also left the doors open for a couple days.

Luckily no rust or any other damage. Can't even tell there was ever water in the cab. A fresh water lake of course.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lived on the beach in California for over 30 years....never had rust inside like that.

The water around here has a lot higher salt content than on the west coast. We also get the pleasure of having our roads slathered in salt every winter.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I recently read that vehicles with hurricane/flood damage will be hitting the market anytime now. I'd pull the carfax if you're unsure of where your truck originated from. Not sure what recourse you'd have but I'd personally be interested to know.

It was on the news lately. Those who had their vehicles paid for and no full coverage insurance to cover the damages often clean their vehicles up and sell them where ever they can. They usually change hands a few times before actual sale to the public. Although a Carfax is always a good idea it will not detect these vehicles.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

-K

^^^ THIS!!!
Inside humidity from wet carpet. Prior owner probably got leaking light fixed at some point, but by then the cancer was in your interior.

OP
OP
U

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ THIS!!!
Inside humidity from wet carpet. Prior owner probably got leaking light fixed at some point, but by then the cancer was in your interior.

Well, hopefully that's the answer. No signs of anything leaking now, and I can't find signs of any other water damage besides the rust. And the truck still has "new car smell", so if it ever had water in it, they must have cleaned it up pretty good afterwards.

I guess I'll just clean off as much of the rust as I can with a wire brush, and hope for the best.