Rust spots all over my ‘17 chrome bumper.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
*EDIT* Pic added below.

Looks like she’s going back to the mothership for repairs.

I got one of the new holdover ‘17 EDs 1500’s last month, it’s the Big Horn package so it has the metal chrome bumpers. I was washing her down yesterday and immediately noticed a dime sized spot of rust just under the rear passenger side tail light...then another pinhole spot...then another, and another (all with a small hole and dime size rust ring). The whole rear bumper is covered in them, probably 20-30 that I can see.

The front bumper is fine.

My guess is bad chrome plating, I’ll take it in next week and let them have a look at it...

Last edited:

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picture please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this happen on my 13 however it did take a couple years. I started noticing it after car washes. I had a ding or two from a trailer that formed a small amount of rust but I was hand drying it one day and noticed there were small bumps of rust all over it. Nothing I could do at that point, maybe buy a new bumper but it was too late for warranty.

I don't know why this happens, I thought maybe stone chips and then rust filing in the small openings however I had OEM mud flaps on my 13 and there's no way a rock could angled at the underside and especially back side of that bumper.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is sounds like to me is iron deposits turning rusty. Any time you’re behind someone. Especially trucks or by a passing train you’re getting hundreds of bits of iron thrown at your truck. If they stick they will rust over time. You should get an iron remover and regularly treat your truck. I do mine every spring and fall. I’ll use the iron remover then clay bar

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id bed on the iron depsoits as well. Clean the truck, and use 0000 steel wool to lightly buff them off. Do not put your back into it. Use a cleaner like windex while you are at it to give it some lubrication. They should disappear and with the 0000 steel wool it will not mar the surface unless you hulk out on it.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
These are tiny little holes into the chrome...that and the truck was showroom new less than 30 days ago, so I doubt I've had that much exposure to the elements.

*EDIT*

I'm just going to throw this out there...it's extremely difficult taking pictures of a small spot on a chrome bumper, in the rain. Here goes:

o5oyMyC.jpg

Like I said, they're all tiny little holes rather than something on the surface, you can actually feel the hole in the surface with your fingernail.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whoa thats bad, thats pitting pretty heavily. Are you up north? Id bring it to the dealer and see if they will warranty that as its pretty heavily corroded.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Whoa thats bad, thats pitting pretty heavily. Are you up north? Id bring it to the dealer and see if they will warranty that as its pretty heavily corroded.

I'm guessing they will...like I said, the truck is brand new.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah idk what that is. Have you been driving in heavy salt? Salt can definitely pit the chrome.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I took it to the dealership yesterday...we'll see where this goes. The service kid was none too friendly about it, kid of treated me like I was an idiot. He just stood there, looking at my truck for a second and then asked me where the rust was. Once I answered "take your pick" and began pointing them all out saying "here" ever time, he finally responded. He took some pictures, did something on his iPad, and then made the comment "Well, it's sent in, its out of my hands now. I let you know what Dodge says"...and that was it.

Here's another shot...the pin holes are all over the place...I even cleaned the rust off of a few to show that they are indeed small little holes.

FZVFCGN.png

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took it to the dealership yesterday...we'll see where this goes. The service kid was none too friendly about it, kid of treated me like I was an idiot. He just stood there, looking at my truck for a second and then asked me where the rust was. Once I answered "take your pick" and began pointing them all out saying "here" ever time, he finally responded. He took some pictures, did something on his iPad, and then made the comment "Well, it's sent in, its out of my hands now. I let you know what Dodge says"...and that was it.

Here's another shot...the pin holes are all over the place...I even cleaned the rust off of a few to show that they are indeed small little holes.

FZVFCGN.png

Yeah that’s pitting from the salt. Still seems way too soon to be experiencing this already. Could have been an issue in the plating process. I hate hearing these stories about dealerships b omg ******. I definitely got lucky with my dealer and they fix every little thing I throw at them. Readjusting my exhaust and replacing the clear plastic rock chip protection on the rear bumper. Did they offer a rust warranty when you bought he truck? They offered it to me and I didn’t hesitate to buy it. In the future to try to avoid this keep your truck clean all year round. Even underneath. Even in the winter especially when it’s salty. I wash mine one to two times a week in the winter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock