Rzrman Ram build thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah. And similar to you, I've been followed by plenty of police, both city and State Troopers and never had an issue with any. It's kind of funny, the laws in Alaska all seem to state how bright at a minimum lights must be (able to see a person at X no. of feet), but nothing is written about how bright they can be (will vaporize a person at X no. of feet).. lol

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They do make and sell just the straight LED board. Never looked at it or thought about it in another application... hmmmmm....

Smell smoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a question asked about my footwell lights....

The panel to the left of the steering wheel is the location where I tapped into power.....(stupid sideways picture)....you'll notice the wire tap.....that did not work. I actually had to use the other end of the green connector to get power. Another pic will follow.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 297
OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to see but this shot is from the floor looking up....you can see the wire tap in there connected to the yellow/white stripe wire for power. It is the power wire for the dome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 284

JoeMcK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
30" LED spot/flood curved lightbar installed. I put this in about a year ago and have been waiting for it to break so I can put a 42" in its place.

I am very interested in how you mounted the light bar. I have mine on a westin bull bar and hate it. Want to mount mine the same as yours.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am very interested in how you mounted the light bar. I have mine on a westin bull bar and hate it. Want to mount mine the same as yours.

I cut out the correct length from the lower grill insert according to my bar and bolted it to one of the bumper bolts on each side. I believe this is how most guys end up doing it as well. Below is a huge thread with all types of lightbar set ups. Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/my_lightbar-72869/

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Added these to my front turns last February and they've held up pretty good.

They are extremely bright...like on a dark road I could probably use these to drive without headlights if need be (slow of course) but they're that bright...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 222
OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the forward facing led's due to the reflective bowls being blacked out...I think it sorta makes up for it and gives other drivers a heads up that I'm using the turn signals....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a couple members ask more about the cargo tap so I snapped a quick picture.

This is under the rear driver door sill. The thicker red wire is the wire I have tapped into the cargo circuit (white/tan) and running back to my led pods...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 238

JoeMcK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cut out the correct length from the lower grill insert according to my bar and bolted it to one of the bumper bolts on each side. I believe this is how most guys end up doing it as well. Below is a huge thread with all types of lightbar set ups. Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/my_lightbar-72869/

When I click on the tread, the pics you uploaded are no longer there. Do you have them someplace else? I think I am missing some parts in my front bumper....

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only had a couple pictures on that thread.

One was the bracket I made to hold the lightbar on...I'm not sure what pieces you could be missing, should just be the grill insert....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 250

smokedbystang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Great Thread! I am debating whether to get a 32" or 42" light bar for the lower grill. Haven't decided yet. Does the lower grill insert just pop out? I really haven't looked at it yet. I am going to take a look at the light bar link you linked to get some more ideas. Are the cheap ebay light bars any good? I figured getting a cheap one since they are low to the ground and may get broken. I was thinking about this one with the wire harness.
CREE 420W 5D 32inch 34" LED Curved Light Bar Spot Flood Offroad 4WD N4 + Wiring | eBay

Thanks. Keep up the mods and updates! Mine is coming along just at a slow pace.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great Thread! I am debating whether to get a 32" or 42" light bar for the lower grill. Haven't decided yet. Does the lower grill insert just pop out? I really haven't looked at it yet. I am going to take a look at the light bar link you linked to get some more ideas. Are the cheap ebay light bars any good? I figured getting a cheap one since they are low to the ground and may get broken. I was thinking about this one with the wire harness.
CREE 420W 5D 32inch 34" LED Curved Light Bar Spot Flood Offroad 4WD N4 + Wiring | eBay

Thanks. Keep up the mods and updates! Mine is coming along just at a slow pace.

Thank you sir...I like the way the 30" looks in there but I would recommend the 42"....just cause...more light and as cheap as they're getting..why not? The lower insert just pops out with a little tug, there should be 3-4 vertical bars behind it if I recall.

I have been super happy with my eBay bar. I am surprised how well it's held up and that none of the led's have gone out....nor is there any condensation. I really would like a rigid bar but for my use I just cant justify that kinda cost.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey man, Have a few questions for ya....

Was the retrofit projector worth it?
Did you buy a second set of quads and use those, or was this a day project on your only set?
How hard was it?
Better then buying a set of Sport Projectors?
I didn't understand painting them, as I thought they used the housings to reflect and throw light, but now that I think about that... their projectors... they don't reflect off the housing lol.

I'm in a pickle. I have OEM Quad headlights and I hate them. I'm installing a 42" curved LED bar for the drive to work / home on the back country roads. But I also want just a better headlight. I'm so unsure if I should buy factory Sport Projectors, Just buy HID's/LED's for my quad lenses or even something as simple as a Silverstar Ultra style bulb. I don't know what to do. I cannot afford these super special fancy projector headlights that one sponsor here builds.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey man, Have a few questions for ya....

Was the retrofit projector worth it?
Did you buy a second set of quads and use those, or was this a day project on your only set?
How hard was it?
Better then buying a set of Sport Projectors?
I didn't understand painting them, as I thought they used the housings to reflect and throw light, but now that I think about that... their projectors... they don't reflect off the housing lol.

I'm in a pickle. I have OEM Quad headlights and I hate them. I'm installing a 42" curved LED bar for the drive to work / home on the back country roads. But I also want just a better headlight. I'm so unsure if I should buy factory Sport Projectors, Just buy HID's/LED's for my quad lenses or even something as simple as a Silverstar Ultra style bulb. I don't know what to do. I cannot afford these super special fancy projector headlights that one sponsor here builds.

Ok...before my retro I went thru a few phases. First I had sylvania zxe's and those were pretty good. I wanted something brighter so I dropped in a morimoto hid kit from retroshop right into my oem duals. Wayyy brighter but now the scatter was going everywhere blinding *******. Last phase was doin a retrofit. I wasn't about to drop $1k for headlights...f-k all that. The retro was definitely worth it. It looks so much better, it's brighter and Im not blinding oncoming traffic.

Now...I did have a second set of dual's that I purchased somewhere along the way so I had those in my ram while I was actually building my retrofit. It wasn't hard but it was a pita. The permaseal was horrible to get off. The whole build took me about a week and a half as I wasn't in a hurry. I would love some oem sport projectors but I'm not paying those prices. My whole retro project was around $200 I think. I'd get the zxe's until you can afford to do a retro as it'll be way cheaper than buying the oem projectors.