Sad Story!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So two weeks ago, a buddy of mine took his 08 F-150 with 23000 miles on it to see about trading it in. He stopped at the Ram dealership on the way to the other brand, and Ram offered him a smoking deal on a 2016 Rebel. He pulled the trigger and brought it home. It's a beautiful truck even with the grill and tailgate that I don't like. Anyway, he put 300 miles on the truck, then last week we noticed a very loud Tick in the engine. He was afraid to drive it, and ended up calling the dealership who sent a tow truck to get it. After a couple days being in the shop, they advised him today that they think it dropped a lifter. Needless to say he's pretty POd. Dealership seems to be treating him right up to now, and I hope they keep it up. He's been a lifelong Ford owner who decided to try a Ram after driving my truck.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks. Keep us updated

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could have happened in any brand truck, sucks it was a Ram though. Hopefully the dealer takes care of him.

The Rebel grill and tailgate are growing on me and I think the truck as a whole would be awesome. Couldn't justify spending that kind of money on something I use like a truck, but still...

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was down by the ole stealership this weekend and the Rebel is starting to grow in me.
That being said, no engine manufacturing process is perfect. That's why all dealers offer a at least a power train warranty. Sad and inconvenient, but as long as they put it back together AND warranty the repair, not much more you can ask.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I had a Tahoe with a 350. One day it collapsed a lifter and started hammering to beat the band. i had it rollbacked to the dealer, and GM's fix was to let it sit and idle for an hour. If the lifter pumped back up give it back to the customer.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I'm beginning to like the rebels more and more to. But with the lifter, **** happens. There will always be a faulty part here and there. As long as the dealership takes care of him that's one thing that can be controlled.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ha! Like Fords having damaged our pocket books!
When I was a younger man it was 2 Fords that pretty much bankrupted me. First was a '89 Bronco, stayed broken down and in the shop. 2nd was a 91 4x4 pickup the block cracked in for no freaking reason. I

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a new for Ranger drop a valve into the cylinder, I've had a Yukon Xl crack a head, I've had my R/T drop a lifter just like that.... As said they all do it... and I'd still buy them except for Ford.... they can eat **** and die. I will never buy a ford again. but that is because of FOMOCO and how they treated my ranger repair. Still dealing with that BS to this day.... 16 years later

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if he can get a new truck out of the deal considering it only has 300 miles on it. Id tell him to contact Ram and see what they say.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if he can get a new truck out of the deal considering it only has 300 miles on it. Id tell him to contact Ram and see what they say.

Why is that what everyone always goes to? Just because that happened doesn't mean its a lemon. Thats why you sign all that fancy paperwork when you buy a truck. As long as the problem is fixed and won't happen again then they held their end of the deal with the warranty. No offense to the OP or the guy that bought the truck but this isn't a "sad" story. If someone hit it and totaled it then that is sad. I'm sorry, but I don't get this "I'm owed!" attitude that people get when they have a warranty fix.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why is that what everyone always goes to? Just because that happened doesn't mean its a lemon. Thats why you sign all that fancy paperwork when you buy a truck. As long as the problem is fixed and won't happen again then they held their end of the deal with the warranty. No offense to the OP or the guy that bought the truck but this isn't a "sad" story. If someone hit it and totaled it then that is sad. I'm sorry, but I don't get this "I'm owed!" attitude that people get when they have a warranty fix.

Someone is being a little passive agressive

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi

I'm pretty sure if they fix it it's still a new truck.....with one less problem. Every vehicle has some sort of problem or quark somewhere. A different new one might have some other sort of problem as well. If this is the only part that failed they did better than the C average our high schools require for passing and going out into the real world......

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I can see wanting something new, but man why get rid of a 08 with 23K. That's super low miles. Still new really.

OP
OP
txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can see wanting something new, but man why get rid of a 08 with 23K. That's super low miles. Still new really.

He drove my 16 to the body shop for me when I got the hail damage fixed. It blew him away how much better it drove than his ford. He also said he needed tires for his truck. He's a farmer and uses vehicles for tax credits.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I sort of understand if the engine had some bearing problems or broke a hard part and the Dealer wanted to repair the block and just throw in a new crank on a 300 mile engine. I then would just want a new engine period. But a new truck with a lifter issue?? Good grief:roflsquared:

OP
OP
txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I don't remember posting anything about being owed anything. It's sad, because he tried something new, and it broke. I agree crap happens and machines sometimes break. I just wish for his sake that it hadn't happened to him and hope everything gets taken care of so he can enjoy his new Ram as much as I have enjoyed mine.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't remember posting anything about being owed anything. It's sad, because he tried something new, and it broke. I agree crap happens and machines sometimes break. I just wish for his sake that it hadn't happened to him and hope everything gets taken care of so he can enjoy his new Ram as much as I have enjoyed mine.

No that was for another poster who said new truck. I fully agree with everything you are saying.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Seriously!!! I'd keep that thing forever.

On a 2016!!! That's crazy

And exactly why I'll be keeping my 12'...until everything falls off.

Coming up on 50k.