Same year 5.9 engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I have a 99 Ram 1500 5.9. My engine blew last year and I'm finally able to get around to replacing the engine. What all do I need to replace it? I'll have the long block from a salvaged ram. What all do I need to worry about? What else should I do? I'll be replacing the Plenum with the Hughes Engine one. Any advice would be awesome! And If there is another thread for this please post it. I couldn't find it.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
If you have the engine out to swap, you should really replace/check everything within spec.

It'd sure be a bummer to put that "new" one in only to have the oil pump not working correctly.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you are confident enough to swap engines, I would hope you are confident enough to rebuild one.

I would do a full rebuild on any engine I was going to be putting in my truck. No reason to skip one step now while it's as easy as it will ever be, then have to fix it a year or two later inside the truck.

Besides, you could make a built 360 and be really happy. New cams, headers, intake maybe, and a tune; you won't be dissapointed.

OP
OP
J

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Now i found that the 4 pick n pulls in the area don't have my year truck... Any idea on what year i can use with minimal trouble?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Pull the crank sensor or you'll crush it, check the wiring harness over well, prob install a mechanical oil gauge in case your last one died from lack of oil