seat airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Anybody ever remove airbags from one seat to another.Bought a set of laramie leather seats with none.
Haven't got them yet as there only shipped but I want to be prepared.Thanks.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would have it done professionly. But that's me. Maybe you tube has a video on this.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm pretty certain that the seats that have airbags in them have special seams/stitching to allow them to deploy. I don't think that swapping them in will be an easy task, if it's even possible.

-K

OP
OP
bruce219

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I'll check and see if I can roll back part seat off like a seat cover,I think there may a zip at the bottom,Mine have seat covers on so I'll pull one off Saturday.

sam-aye-am

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Anybody ever remove airbags from one seat to another.Bought a set of laramie leather seats with none.
Haven't got them yet as there only shipped but I want to be prepared.Thanks.

I have this exact same question.

I’m looking to upgrade the seats in my tradesman trim level truck. Only seats I seem to find online that show the sewn in airbag label are from LKQ. They say they harvest the airbags from the seats. Wouldn’t be a big deal if I could simply move mine over, but I don’t think it is that easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bruce219

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Thats who I bought mine from,I saw a video on you tube of a guy putting new complete leather on a seat,It shows the back part of seat has a zipper and the head is tucked under seat.He unclipped the airbag easy enough and took it out.
I also got back seat,its a crew cab one though and mines a quad.I'll swap my seat bracket
onto it and if the seat is to tight to front seats i'll get it shaved by an upholster.I have the jump seat storage lid getting wrapped in black leather with a cherry red strip running around the edge.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think you can put the seat airbags into a set that isn't designed for them... they use special thread so that the seats come a part on airbag deployment. You need replacement seats that have the airbag tag on them.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I installed Laramie seats into my 2017 SLT 2500 which I re-covered in new custom leather covers. To do so I had to remove and then put back in the airbag modules. So yes you can swap an airbag module from one Ram seat to another. But you MUST have an airbag seat. If the seat is NOT airbag then there is NO way to add them. The seat cover, the seat back frame, and the back foam cushion are different, not to mention the wiring harness for the airbag would be missing in a non-airbag seat. To ensure a seat is airbag you must have the airbag tag sewn into the outside seam of the backrest of the seat. Be careful of seats coming out of a 3500. There are 3500 Ram's that are "C&C" models which is "Chassis and Cab". These 3500's do NOT have airbag seats even though it is a model year in which they are normally equipped since C&C trucks are EXEMPT from airbags. So as an example, you find seats out of a 2017 Laramie 3500, automatically everyone (including the salvage yard) incorrectly assume they are airbag. Best check to see that airbag tag sewn into the seat to ensure they did not come out of a C&C. Ask me how I know this.

See this video pasted below. It gives a pretty good look at removing and re=installing an airbag in a Ram seat:

Last edited:
OP
OP
bruce219

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Great,thanks dude.The seats I'm getting are seats with airbags only the guy I bought them from has removed them,I just want to transfer the ones from my seats into these.I think it a go now,looks fairly straight forward.

OP
OP
bruce219

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Front seats are in and powered up.Air bag swap was very easy,I disconnected negative on battery before I started,did not reconnect till I was 100% finished.Air bags have two 8mm nuts on back side.No air bag light on.I powered seats from center jump seat,I swapped out the 10amp fuse for a 25.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apologies for necroing this thread but Im about to do the same thing - how did you disconnect the wiring connect from the airbag? That video doesnt show too much of it, but I see a small orange tab that looks like it might slide to unlock the wiring connector? Does that sound correct?

Since its airbag related I dont want to just start yanking on stuff.

Thanks.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Apologies for necroing this thread but Im about to do the same thing - how did you disconnect the wiring connect from the airbag? That video doesnt show too much of it, but I see a small orange tab that looks like it might slide to unlock the wiring connector? Does that sound correct?

Since its airbag related I dont want to just start yanking on stuff.

Thanks.

Chris....the orange tab on the airbag acts like a lock to prevent the wire connection from disconnecting from the bag. The orange lock moves 'Up and down". Up to unlock. Then you can pull it off the airbag. Go to the video I linked in my previous post, go full screen when viewing, and then go to 10:55 to 11. You will see him reconnect the plug to the airbag and if you watch closely you will see him press the orange tab down locking it.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the reply! That did the trick.

Going to look for a steamer tomorrow to see if I can "puff up" the seat foam a bit before installing my new seat covers.

Chaplain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bring up an old thread so sorry.

But, I'm looking for the simplest/cleanest way to disconnect the airbags permanently (without taking the seats apart). Any help?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Bring up an old thread so sorry.

But, I'm looking for the simplest/cleanest way to disconnect the airbags permanently (without taking the seats apart). Any help?

I'm not sure why you'd want to disable a major safety system... Is there something wrong with them?

-K

Chaplain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure why you'd want to disable a major safety system... Is there something wrong with them?

-K
Just stuck 2020 seats into an '06. The '06 doesn't have the correct sensors/system to tell the bags when to/not go off. I also don't want them going off if I make a mistake wiring up heat/vent options.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Just stuck 2020 seats into an '06. The '06 doesn't have the correct sensors/system to tell the bags when to/not go off. I also don't want them going off if I make a mistake wiring up heat/vent options.

Avoid the yellow connectors and you should be fine. IIRC all the airbag-related wiring will be on those yellow connectors

If you’re still a bit wary, you can find connector pin-outs and diagrams for the seats, pretty sure the wiring from 2013-2020 is about the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk