Second Gen Headlights turn on by themselves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5maples

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. I'm new to this so bare with me, thought I would share this info....my headlights and/or park lights turn on sometimes by themselves particularly when it's raining or damp out. I just replaced my radiator and to do so you need to remove the washer bottle on the driver's side front. Under that bottle was an electrical harness that had been chaffing against either the frame, inner fender, or radiator support. Not sure which because the little plastic retainer on the harness was pulled out of the hole that holds the harness in place. Two of the wires were burnt thru and were live. Other wires had a burnt coating. I think when this area of the harness got wet it created contact to other wires in the harness and turned the lights on. Only my high beams worked before and only one headlight and one park light worked on the low beam setting. I repaired the wires and everything works fine now. Thinking this may be the problem some people are facing with their headlights so I'm passing it along. Thanks

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Great info for anyone who gets the same issue, You may have saved them hours of troubleshooting :) Also WELCOME to the group. TON'S of good info here

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had the same issue with my 1° 4x4, a Lada Niva.
Turning right the horn honked, drove me crazy and was a public shame.
Finally one night in holidays in Italy the whole cable tree under the steering column caught fire.
Had fin for the next days to cut, clean and splive the whol mass of molten russian plastic and copper to get the car back working.
However, this kind of electric bugs are mostly short circuits somewhere and can be a big PITA to track down.
Chris