SEE PICTURE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 rc/sb
Engine
hemi 5.7
So much info in this forum! Great stuff! I am new and don't want to repeat everything said before but I found this picture of the 4th gen rear suspension that includes a critique from an engineer. Shows and explains a lot to newbies. Like me. I particularly noted the display of the rear coils and how it appears they spiral in opposite directions, like there is a right and left hand factory coil. The engineer says this reduces hop. No way aftermarket coils are paired as left and right, right? There may be only one way the small end of each coil sits on the rear end. If so, then it should be impossible to install them wrong. But if they can go in more than one way, then it may be critical to do it as pictured to avoid hop AND see the stated drop. The picture also really helps me understand what a Panhard rod is and does and how, if the chassis end drops a lot, it could force the rear end off center, requiring a relocation bracket. My 2017 Tradesman 2wd rc/sb DOES NOT HAVE A SWAY BAR, so no issues for me there. I am going to install the ground force kit 91213 and stop. A 2" rear drop should not change the lateral position of the rear end enough to mess with the Panhard.

25110d1207358334-2009-ram-comes-4-link-suspension-rear-suspension.gif

Last edited:

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most kits have relocating brackets for what is required with certain drops. Your over thinking it..

OP
OP
M

Motorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 rc/sb
Engine
hemi 5.7
I always do. spent all my time on research. finally looked at MY truck and it doesn't even HAVE a sway bar...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So much info in this forum! Great stuff! I am new and don't want to repeat everything said before but I found this picture of the 4th gen rear suspension that includes a critique from an engineer. Shows and explains a lot to newbies. Like me. I particularly noted the display of the rear coils and how it appears they spiral in opposite directions, like there is a right and left hand factory coil. The engineer says this reduces hop. No way aftermarket coils are paired as left and right, right? There may be only one way the small end of each coil sits on the rear end. If so, then it should be impossible to install them wrong. But if they can go in more than one way, then it may be critical to do it as pictured to avoid hop AND see the stated drop. The picture also really helps me understand what a Panhard rod is and does and how, if the chassis end drops a lot, it could force the rear end off center, requiring a relocation bracket. My 2017 Tradesman 2wd rc/sb DOES NOT HAVE A SWAY BAR, so no issues for me there. I am going to install the ground force kit 91213 and stop. A 2" rear drop should not change the lateral position of the rear end enough to mess with the Panhard.

View attachment 123368

The trucks wheelhop even with the stock suspension and no lowering kit installed.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even lowering only 2" the rearend will still shift to the right a tad. Not horrible but enough that once you notice it then you will notice it everytime & it will stick out like a sore thumb. An adjustable panhard bar from companies such as Spohn or Cutterup will move it back to center left to right.

Also even at 2" the rearend will shift slightly forward due to the control arms rolling upward due to the axle moving upwards b/c of the shorter springs. This is noticeable also.

Both affect the ride. If the rear isnt centered left to right it will dog track. If the control arms arent level w/ the frame it will sway/wobble at 70+ mph on the interstate. IF that happens Illicit Customs no cut brackets are the answer to bring the control arms back down level w/ the frame.

Also panhard needs to be level w/ the axle. If it isnt then you will feel an awkward oscilating feeling when you go over bumps. The relocation brackets are meant for 4" drops so they are no good for 2". Wild One and others have drilled holes in the frame to move the bar to a more level position.

There is alot to lowering these trucks. Most just throw a Belltech 2/4 kit on & go on about their day but a whole laundry list of problem areas pop up on these trucks when going lower w/ the rear suspension. Once all set up right though they ride great and handle like a dream

Most people dont seem to have many issues w/ just a 2" drop or dont push the suspension hard enough to notice the issues that may pop up but some do even w/ only having 2" springs. If you do then this will help

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Motorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 rc/sb
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gary, thank you! That is an experienced and thorough answer. It's not just a pair of shackles on these trucks. I may end up just leaving it stock but I have learned a lot on this forum in any case. This is my first Ram. Dig that hemi and 8 speed auto! Ok, now about that Vararam intake...:eek::eek:.