Sending unit removal

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Myarrowshoyt, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Myarrowshoyt

Myarrowshoyt Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I recently acquired an 88 power ram with 38k miles one owner truck. It's sat for nearly 20 years and it runs great when you fill the bowl on the carb but dies when it runs out. I found the issue when I dropped the tank the lines are rusted off an I can't get the sending unit to turn to come out any advice?

2. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    i have usually used locking pliers and a hammer. not the greatest way but i don't know of any other way to do it. if you run the vin you can find out what size fuel tank you have so that you can get the correct sending unit for your truck. just put your vin in the box labeled vin and it should bring up your build sheet. i have been told it should work for 88 and newer vehicles but the oldest vin i have run was a 89 so i don't know if it is true or not
    Support Home Page

3. Myarrowshoyt

Myarrowshoyt Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    It's a 30 gallon tank. I'm gonna try what you said so thanks I appreciate it!

4. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    i have done 3 gas tanks that way so far. i did kind of mangle the plastic ring a bit but it still does the job. if you want to replace the sending unit i am pretty sure you can get them from dodge. 4075474 should be the part number for the one you need and only cost about $100. now if you got some 3/8" and 5/16" fuel line sitting around you could probably redneck fix the sending unit
    [​IMG]