Serious question. What differences are there between all the years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Particularly, the year clusters of '09-12, and then '13+, but also, between years within those clusters, as I've seen threads on "09 to 10 front end swap" but can't tell the difference between them via google.

I've also seen a thread with a '10 gauge cluster in an '09 and the dude had problems with it and the steering wheel controls because certain features were different or non-existent.

The reason I ask is because I really want a 4th gen SCRB, but I don't know which year will be best for me to get. {{Have to get used because I'm 20 with 0 credit and have a 3 digit bank account ATM. Current truck is an 05 QCRB with aftermarket speakers/headunit, a muffler delete, and some paint/body damage. The rest is stock.}}

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
13 was a "mid model update", the front end changed some, as did the lights, gauges, stereo, and lost of stuff I'm sure I'm missing. Seems they also went to more canbus system than in the earlier models. I keep seeing 13+ owners asking about LEDs that won't set off the bulb out warning, whereas in my '09, that's not an issue, there is no bulb out warning. The climate controls in the 13+ seem to be part of the stereo display, mine aren't.

Most of the stuff from an 09 will fit into a 10/11/12 fairly easily. That being said, adding things like cluster, steering wheel controls, auto climate control, etc. might also need the dealer to flash the truck to allow things to work, you can't just install it and expect it to work.

My opinion - buy what you like and can afford, and don't over extend. Leave yourself room for maintenance and "upgrades". I would loved to have had a 13+ 3.6/3.55, but couldn't find one in my price range that I wanted to buy. I found my '09 SLT/Sport at a decent price and I still smile every time I walk out to get in it. I saw an internet meme once that always stuck with me - "If you walk away from your truck and don't at least glance back at it, you bought the wrong truck".

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
13 was a "mid model update", the front end changed some, as did the lights, gauges, stereo, and lost of stuff I'm sure I'm missing. Seems they also went to more canbus system than in the earlier models. I keep seeing 13+ owners asking about LEDs that won't set off the bulb out warning, whereas in my '09, that's not an issue, there is no bulb out warning. The climate controls in the 13+ seem to be part of the stereo display, mine aren't.

Most of the stuff from an 09 will fit into a 10/11/12 fairly easily. That being said, adding things like cluster, steering wheel controls, auto climate control, etc. might also need the dealer to flash the truck to allow things to work, you can't just install it and expect it to work.

My opinion - buy what you like and can afford, and don't over extend. Leave yourself room for maintenance and "upgrades". I would loved to have had a 13+ 3.6/3.55, but couldn't find one in my price range that I wanted to buy. I found my '09 SLT/Sport at a decent price and I still smile every time I walk out to get in it. I saw an internet meme once that always stuck with me - "If you walk away from your truck and don't at least glance back at it, you bought the wrong truck".

I saw that quote, too. About cars, too. I look back at my 05 QC about half the time, and that's mostly cause it's kinda beat up, and a QC. If I even had an clean 04-08 SCRB with mods, I'd be much happier. But I also know that I believe the 4th gen is a MUCH tighter, more well put together looking, and nicer, more modern truck.

I did some quick reading on CANBUS and it seems like a pretty good idea. It would simplify wiring harness and systems severely, and that can only be good when it comes to customizing. Unfortunately, closed source software/firmware would cause an issue with that, in and of itself. As you've clearly stated with LED bulbs causing 13+ owners trouble.

I definitely don't like even the idea of integral radio+climate controls, and I also hate the idea of a dial shifter, too. So something without that, I think, would be better for me.

Given all of that, it seems like my best bet would be to get anything 09-12 and perhaps convert it to CANBUS and swap over the 13+ front end if I like it better. Question, is the 13+ facia directly swappable to the 09-12 trucks like the 06-08 facia is for the 02-05 trucks? Also, what are these 'grill shutters' that I have briefly heard of?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
09 - 12 have CANBUS.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
06-08 also have canbus lol, just not as much

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Oh. Well, I did not know that. Okay.... What about my other questions? And while I'm at it, how do you guys get those animated gifs of your trucks????

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I saw that quote, too. About cars, too. I look back at my 05 QC about half the time, and that's mostly cause it's kinda beat up, and a QC. If I even had an clean 04-08 SCRB with mods, I'd be much happier. But I also know that I believe the 4th gen is a MUCH tighter, more well put together looking, and nicer, more modern truck.

I did some quick reading on CANBUS and it seems like a pretty good idea. It would simplify wiring harness and systems severely, and that can only be good when it comes to customizing. Unfortunately, closed source software/firmware would cause an issue with that, in and of itself. As you've clearly stated with LED bulbs causing 13+ owners trouble.

I definitely don't like even the idea of integral radio+climate controls, and I also hate the idea of a dial shifter, too. So something without that, I think, would be better for me.

Given all of that, it seems like my best bet would be to get anything 09-12 and perhaps convert it to CANBUS and swap over the 13+ front end if I like it better. Question, is the 13+ facia directly swappable to the 09-12 trucks like the 06-08 facia is for the 02-05 trucks? Also, what are these 'grill shutters' that I have briefly heard of?
The fascia is swappable but grille needs to change too

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Particularly, the year clusters of '09-12, and then '13+, but also, between years within those clusters, as I've seen threads on "09 to 10 front end swap" but can't tell the difference between them via google.

I've also seen a thread with a '10 gauge cluster in an '09 and the dude had problems with it and the steering wheel controls because certain features were different or non-existent.

The reason I ask is because I really want a 4th gen SCRB, but I don't know which year will be best for me to get. {{Have to get used because I'm 20 with 0 credit and have a 3 digit bank account ATM. Current truck is an 05 QCRB with aftermarket speakers/headunit, a muffler delete, and some paint/body damage. The rest is stock.}}
The front end swap was for those wanting to do gear swap on 4wd vehicles, the ring gear is welded on the 11 or 12+ vs. being bolted on the earlier years.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
You should get a 2011 1500 QCRB Because
be-alot-cooler-if-you-did-22712861.png
Lol, if I get a 4th gen QCRB, I'd be trying to shorten the frame and wheelbase and slapping the short bed on it.

The front end swap was for those wanting to do gear swap on 4wd vehicles, the ring gear is welded on the 11 or 12+ vs. being bolted on the earlier years.

Well, ****. I wanted the 4wd for that launch, too. Perhaps even the 44-44 transfer cased one so it'll be more like AWD. And, of course, I wanted to do the gear swap for EVEN MOAR acceleration, but damn... Well, if the diffs are getting built, anyway, no problem to swap it, right??

Wait, you said the '11 and '12.... What about the '09 and '10?

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011 and older:
lug nuts are different.
takes C9.25 rear diff. Lots of support for aftermarket.
C 8" front diff, Low pinion can get 4.10, 4.56 and probably more.

2012 and newer:
ZF9.25 rear, bigger ring gear bolts, axles different will not take C9.25 gears unless you machine shop/drill gearset or switch to C9.25 carrier and use those gears. Will need older axles too. Old Driveshaft also rumored to be needed.
ZF215mm ring gear front, 12 and 13 were welded. 14 was not, after ?. Limited to 3.21, 3.55, 3.92 and is a HP gear set.
practically zero support for either, carrier or gears. Yukon LSD is rumored to be rubbish.
8 Speed option in 2013 and is excellent and negates 4.56 with the 6 speed.

also got fancy sparkplugs around then too. Not sure exactly if 2014 or 2013.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
2011 and older:
lug nuts are different.
takes C9.25 rear diff. Lots of support for aftermarket.
C 8" front diff, Low pinion can get 4.10, 4.56 and probably more.

2012 and newer:
ZF9.25 rear, bigger ring gear bolts, axles different will not take C9.25 gears unless you machine shop/drill gearset or switch to C9.25 carrier and use those gears. Will need older axles too. Old Driveshaft also rumored to be needed.
ZF215mm ring gear front, 12 and 13 were welded. 14 was not, after ?. Limited to 3.21, 3.55, 3.92 and is a HP gear set.
practically zero support for either, carrier or gears. Yukon LSD is rumored to be rubbish.
8 Speed option in 2013 and is excellent and negates 4.56 with the 6 speed.

also got fancy sparkplugs around then too. Not sure exactly if 2014 or 2013.

So what I should REALLY get if I'm going 4g is an 09-11? And you're sure that the 09-11 had these diffs, and the change came in 2012, not 2011 like the other guy suggested, despite not remembering correctly?

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just checked randy ring and pinion.

https://www.ringpinion.com/DiffWizard.aspx
upload_2017-12-13_21-12-50.png

upload_2017-12-13_21-14-52.png

upload_2017-12-13_21-13-39.png

upload_2017-12-13_21-18-1.png

made one mistake. the cross over year for the new front diff was model year 2012 as in it has the 215 mm gear.

so if you buy a 2011 it will have the old 8 inch front but still have the ZF axle rear.

Whats the end game for you truck? There have been some posts about first gear ratio and 8 speed w3.92 vs 6 speed w 4.56's and the 8 speed is a pretty nice transmission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
just checked randy ring and pinion.

https://www.ringpinion.com/DiffWizard.aspx
View attachment 115900

View attachment 115902

View attachment 115901

View attachment 115903

made one mistake. the cross over year for the new front diff was model year 2012 as in it has the 215 mm gear.

so if you buy a 2011 it will have the old 8 inch front but still have the ZF axle rear.

Whats the end game for you truck? There have been some posts about first gear ratio and 8 speed w3.92 vs 6 speed w 4.56's and the 8 speed is a pretty nice transmission.

I'd rather have flexibility and be able to change my gears. Going for a manual trans. Guess I'm limited to an '09 or '10.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you can go wrong with any 4th gen, but I am partial to mine.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure exactly when this was cut-in, but between 2010 and 2014 the instrument clusters went from a three screw mounting to a four screw mounting (cluster surround cover) and from a two connector to a one connector electrical connection.

Also, from a 2014 Chrysler service memo:

Ram - Changes to 2014 Ram 1500

• Larger diameter ball joints

• Larger outer tie-rods with new moisture seals

• Frame steel increased from 80,000 PSI to 85,000 PSI

• Frame 30 pounds lighter

• Frame torsional stiffness increased 10%

• Frame beam stiffness increased 6%

• Frame changes to reduce noise & vibration by 30% over 2010

• Added high strength steel: cab floors, firewall, frame, A, B, and C-pillars

• Revised 38mm lower air dam

• Active grill shutters

• Redesigned cooling system initiates quicker transmission warm-up time

• Hood air dam sealing added

• Repositioned cab mounts to decrease vibration

• Larger cab mounts to improve road isolation and reduce noise

• 5.7 Hemi horsepower increased from 390 to 395 hp

• Engine thermal management system (TMS) (engine oil, Trans. Fluid, coolant)

• Electronic thermostat and coolant diverter valve (TMS)

• spark plug change now at 100,000 miles

• Variable Valve Timing (VVT) (5.7 Hemi)

• Improved version of MDS

• Pulse width electrical system

• Pulse width controlled 600 watt multi-speed cooling fans

• Pulse width controlled on demand fuel pump

• Pulse width controlled heater/AC fan

• Electric power steering (eliminates power steering pump and drive belts)

• New 800 AH AGM battery

• 8-speed automatic transmission reduces shift times from 650ms to 200ms

• Low friction ZF rear differential (larger bearings, new gear material)

• Rear five link suspension retuned to improve ride

• New low rolling resistance tires (increased tire pressure)

• Rain brake – pulses brake calipers to remove water from pads and rotors

• Hydraulic Brake Boost Compensation (back-up system in case of failure) added

• Power locking tailgate (operates with FOB)

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I don't think you can go wrong with any 4th gen, but I am partial to mine.
but for some strange reason....(drunken assembly line) the 2011's have had thier share of problems.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure exactly when this was cut-in, but between 2010 and 2014 the instrument clusters went from a three screw mounting to a four screw mounting (cluster surround cover) and from a two connector to a one connector electrical connection.

Also, from a 2014 Chrysler service memo:

Ram - Changes to 2014 Ram 1500

• Larger diameter ball joints

• Larger outer tie-rods with new moisture seals

• Frame steel increased from 80,000 PSI to 85,000 PSI

• Frame 30 pounds lighter

• Frame torsional stiffness increased 10%

• Frame beam stiffness increased 6%

• Frame changes to reduce noise & vibration by 30% over 2010

• Added high strength steel: cab floors, firewall, frame, A, B, and C-pillars

• Revised 38mm lower air dam

• Active grill shutters

• Redesigned cooling system initiates quicker transmission warm-up time

• Hood air dam sealing added

• Repositioned cab mounts to decrease vibration

• Larger cab mounts to improve road isolation and reduce noise

• 5.7 Hemi horsepower increased from 390 to 395 hp

• Engine thermal management system (TMS) (engine oil, Trans. Fluid, coolant)

• Electronic thermostat and coolant diverter valve (TMS)

• spark plug change now at 100,000 miles

• Variable Valve Timing (VVT) (5.7 Hemi)

• Improved version of MDS

• Pulse width electrical system

• Pulse width controlled 600 watt multi-speed cooling fans

• Pulse width controlled on demand fuel pump

• Pulse width controlled heater/AC fan

• Electric power steering (eliminates power steering pump and drive belts)

• New 800 AH AGM battery

• 8-speed automatic transmission reduces shift times from 650ms to 200ms

• Low friction ZF rear differential (larger bearings, new gear material)

• Rear five link suspension retuned to improve ride

• New low rolling resistance tires (increased tire pressure)

• Rain brake – pulses brake calipers to remove water from pads and rotors

• Hydraulic Brake Boost Compensation (back-up system in case of failure) added

• Power locking tailgate (operates with FOB)

Are the service memos publicly available anywhere? I’d like to see memos from other years as well if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk