Service contract vs maintenance plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShortCourse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my infinite wisdom, I bought the Mopar Protection Plan and a maintenence plan when I bought by used 13 Ram back in March of 2015 with roughly 35,000 on the clock. First time ever financing a vehicle and I just wanted peace of mind.

I've been having services done every 7500 miles at the dealership without a problem until today. Recently hit 60,000 miles so I made the appointment and dropped it off this morning. Service advisor says that the plan I have doesn't cover this service and I need to cough up at least $1,000. I kindly tell him to pound sand and do just the oil change. Pick the truck back up a few hours later. They lost my keys, they don't have the multi point inspection sheets, and they reset the milage since last change, but it still shows 30%.

On my purchase contact, it shows $1,795 for the service contract and $395 for the Mopar Protection Plan. Both 60 months, 100,000 miles.

Before anyone points it out, I'm starting to see that I might have been taken as the math doesn't even add up. $59.99 a pop (ouch) every 7,500 miles or 6 months for 5 years or 100,000 miles comes out to way less than $1,795.

I don't even expect it to pay for the spark plugs, but for it to not cover any part of the bigger services is beyond me.

Anyone have any insight or advice? Trying to get my ducks in a row before I go back and start asking questions. Ideally, I'd like to keep my extended warranty valid, but I feel like putting that $1,000 aside for repairs down the road would probably suit me better, as I'll be over 100,000 by next summer.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see why they shouldn't cover it specially with the extended contracts you have.

What is it exactly that they are trying to change/fix for 1,000?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
most maintenance contract are oil changes, tire rotations, and maybe wiper blades. basic maintenance only it should say in your fine print what all is included.

depending on the extended warranty you purchased it may or may not cover items. usually fluid changes (t-case, trans, radiator) are not covered. if you have a chrysler plan you will have to see what level plan you purchased to see what is covered and what is not.

the 1795 price was for the service contract (extended warranty). the 395 is what you paid for the oil changes basic maintenance.

OP
OP
ShortCourse

ShortCourse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I decide to do the 60k myself, would it be advisable to cancel the extended warranty? I imagine the first problem I have, they will deny it after seeing that it wasn't factory performed.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I decide to do the 60k myself, would it be advisable to cancel the extended warranty? I imagine the first problem I have, they will deny it after seeing that it wasn't factory performed.

i think you are right to think this. i was told that it had to be performed by an ASE certified person. there aren't many oil change places in town that are ASE, and i am not either, so to keep with my extended warranty, i have to take it to the dealer. not a big deal, i don't mind that.
as other have stated, i do not think your plan covers the other stuff. i am not familiar with the plan but that might need some more investigating. but the part about "They lost my keys, they don't have the multi point inspection sheets, and they reset the mileage since last change, but it still shows 30%" i would be raising hell about this. good luck

Luke

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

not true! just keep receipts if either you do the work or hire. dealers try and feed people these lines of BS all the time to try and get the work back to them. the magnusson-moss (sp?) act covers you agianst a dealer turning you down and not covering something as long as what the issue is was not directly linked to the other work preformed. Most service advisers are to stupid to know what the act is and how is works that once they see it and management gets involved items get covered.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
not true! just keep receipts if either you do the work or hire. dealers try and feed people these lines of BS all the time to try and get the work back to them. the magnusson-moss (sp?) act covers you agianst a dealer turning you down and not covering something as long as what the issue is was not directly linked to the other work preformed. Most service advisers are to stupid to know what the act is and how is works that once they see it and management gets involved items get covered.

Magnuson-Moss warranty act only gives one legal grounds to sue in Federal civil court for violation of it. In the real world, one has to retain an attorney and serve/file against it. There is not a team of Federal agents at the Federal Trade commission that is going to swoop in on ones behalf.

It is not the "White Knight" that many think it is.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I hate reading things like this. They should have went into detail what was covered at that time not just tacked it on.

OP
OP
ShortCourse

ShortCourse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate reading things like this. They should have went into detail what was covered at that time not just tacked it on.

Yea, it's unfortunate because I know he said it would cover all of my service needs, not just the cheap ones.

Ultimately it's my fault though. You can bet that in all of my future car buying endeavors I will get everything in writing and spend more time reading things over.

Now to decide if it's worth canceling the contact and getting probably a disappointing amount back or just rolling the dice and sre what happens.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here! http://www.chrysler.com/en/service_contracts/

Plug your VIN into the Chrysler site. This will tell you what your service contract is and what your maintenance plan is. It will allow you to download the entire contract, terms and all!

You can absolutely do your own work, or have a shop do it, or a dealer. It doesn't matter. Just document well and save receipts.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ShortCourse

ShortCourse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure why the expiration date is so far out. No mention of the maintenence plan.

FetoDyU.png

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here! Mopar Vehicle Protection for Chrysler

Plug your VIN into the Chrysler site. This will tell you what your service contract is and what your maintenance plan is. It will allow you to download the entire contract, terms and all!

You can absolutely do your own work, or have a shop do it, or a dealer. It doesn't matter. Just document well and save receipts.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

My doesn't show up lol but I know I have it