Setting the trailer tow computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemihog6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2015 2500 with a 6.4 hemi when I hook up my trailer it only gives me a light electric trailer how do you change this my trailer weight is about 8000 lbs

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You change it through your evic settings. I will tell you right now though you probably are fine on light electric. We rented a travel trailer that was probably around 8k or so fully loaded and light electric at 5.5 to 6 was perfect. On heavy electric I was at 2.5 and it was still a little too strong.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
it only gives me a light electric trailer

I'm not sure what this means? Have you found it in the menus of the DIC and you only have an option for "light electric?" If not, that's where you need to go. If the only choice is the light electric something is wrong. You should see two choices.

OP
OP
H

Hemihog6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm not sure what this means? Have you found it in the menus of the DIC and you only have an option for "light electric?" If not, that's where you need to go. If the only choice is the light electric something is wrong. You should see two choices.

I have scrolled through all the evic settings and I can't change from the light electric setting it does tow alright so I guess it's not a big issue

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have scrolled through all the evic settings and I can't change from the light electric setting it does tow alright so I guess it's not a big issue
Do you know which radio your truck has? I know on the RA2(5" screen) and RA3 and RA4 (8.4 screen) you actually change the settings for the trailer brake in the settings on the radio. I am not sure about trucks equipped with the base RA1 (3" screen)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Light electric is appropriate for an 8K lb trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hemihog6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ok I figured it out with the help from you guys,the controls were on the radio screen and I was trying to use the evic screen:)

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
On the tradesmen like mine with the lower grade radio (no touch screen) you do have to change it in the DIS. That's your only option.

My TT is 28yrs old and i think the brake magnets are probably a little weak, so i use heavy trailer setting on mine and that works well. Each trailer is different, you have to play with it to see what works best for your rig.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
According to the Owners manual for my 2017, use Light Electric for 10k and under.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On the tradesmen like mine with the lower grade radio (no touch screen) you do have to change it in the DIS. That's your only option.

My TT is 28yrs old and i think the brake magnets are probably a little weak, so i use heavy trailer setting on mine and that works well. Each trailer is different, you have to play with it to see what works best for your rig.
I did the ra3 swap and I actually will have to look to see if I can change it there or not, I honestly forgot how to change it and had to do it in the middle of the road in a subdivision because you have to have the stupid truck in park.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk