Shaking when braking.. please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripp12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys.. first post ever. I have an 07 ram 1500 Bighorn 4X4, when I apply the brakes, it shakes, quite bad sometimes, so if i let off and hit them again, it usually settles down a little, but always shakes no matter what. Seems to be getting worse with time. I figured it was the rotors but they are smooth to the touch, don't seem warped. Anyone else have this problem, what is the most likely cause of this? Thanks for any input or advice.

Last edited:

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had this problem with mine. It was my back rotors, I had to replace them and had the fronts turned. Along with new pads all around, it fixed the problem.

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey guys.. first post ever. I have an 07 ram 1500 Bighorn 4X4, when I apply the brakes, it shakes, quite bad sometimes, so if i let off and hit them again, it usually settles down a little, but always shakes no matter what. Seems to be getting worse with time. I figured it was the rotors but they are smooth to the touch, don't seem warped. Anyone else have this problem, what is the most likely cause of this? Thanks for any input or advice.

They might be "smooth" the the touch, doesn't mean they are not warped.

Sounds like your rotors, you can have them turned or replace them.

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem. Not terrible, but there. But my rotors and pads are all very new. IDK what my problem is.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
my first thought is warped rotors

oh and welcome to RF

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That would also be my 1st guess

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah I just found out that I have a bent wheel and that is causing a vibration for me. I will be using that as the excuse for new wheels.

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
Rotors Or do you have aftermarket wheels ? May not be setting back back tight if not machined rite

OP
OP
Tripp12345

Tripp12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man you guys have some SIC rides!! Nice signatures, I need to get one! Ok, when i bought the truck last winter, the brakes were SHOT! Metal to metal, so they knocked of 500.00 on the sale. One front rotor was gone, deeply grooved and warped, so I replaced the one rotor and all the pads on all 4 corners (i know, I should have replaced both fronts at the same time.. was a money issue) I'm thinking that other front rotor was pry warped and just couldn't tell by touching it. I guess I could start there and just get the backers turned for the heck of it. Thanks everyone for all your info. And thank you for the warm welcome.

RobS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
most likely like there saying, could be toasted rotors, could also be worn bushings in the steering stabilizer....does the steering wheel wobble back and forth REALLY harshly?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Get that other rotor checked and let us know bud. Welcome to the site.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
depending on how severe the shake and if you replaced your rotors with slotted ones they might be on wrong. I found out the hard way that slotted rotors are directional and need to be on the correct side or new pads will cause a shake and vibration when applied.

OP
OP
Tripp12345

Tripp12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
most likely like there saying, could be toasted rotors, could also be worn bushings in the steering stabilizer....does the steering wheel wobble back and forth REALLY harshly?

Nah, steering wheel doesnt wobble too bad, but you can definitely feel it in your hands when it does shake. I'm going to start with that other rotor and go from there.

electriccity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can rule out a suspension issue or tire/ rim issue because you stated it only does it while braking. If it was a suspension or tire issue it would be more noticable all the time. Being it does it while braking your rotors are more then likely whooped...and being you didnt change them before theyre on their second set of pads and theyre just spent.

MILLER!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IM having the same issue!! I have bought new rotors and replaced the ball joints and brakes are good..AND IT STILL SHAKES when I break!

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I have heard tales of people unevenly overtightening their lugs, and it leading to warped rotors. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but worth thinking about when installing new rotors.

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My issue has been solved, I was missing the top shock bolt on the rear axle shock and a bad hub bearing. Much better now.