Shift kit install tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I've had the TransGo TFOD-HD2 for my 46re in my garage for weeks. Tomorrow I'm going to install it with a friend who is a big machine mechanic. He has been doing drag racing for years and has plenty of experience building engines and such.

I have the shift kit, bought a new filter, got extra fluid, and I'll be using the provided cork gasket for the pan.

From what I understand:
- Drop the pan
- unbolt valve body
- clean throughout with carb cleaner
- follow directions from the included instructions
- reinstall modified valvebody and filter
- put pan back on
- start truck and shift into neutral
- let idle for 5 minutes so the valve body can refill

Has anyone done an install that could give me some tips?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Basically you got it. Lifted01 could help you more though. I have a sonnax kit on mine but i bought mine as a put together unit from CascadeTransmissionParts.com who distributes them for sonnax

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Basically you got it. Lifted01 could help you more though. I have a sonnax kit on mine but i bought mine as a put together unit from CascadeTransmissionParts.com who distributes them for sonnax
Not to jack the thread, but do you remember which kit your transmission had installed? I'm looking at the Sure Cure kit from Sonnax. Just hadn't heard or seen any feedback from anyone on it.
Lifted01 where ya at

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Not to jack the thread, but do you remember which kit your transmission had installed? I'm looking at the Sure Cure kit from Sonnax. Just hadn't heard or seen any feedback from anyone on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

SureCure is what i have. It was preinstalled on the valvebody when i ordered it from CascadeTransmissionParts.com and just did a simple swap of the valvebody

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I've had the TransGo TFOD-HD2 for my 46re in my garage for weeks. Tomorrow I'm going to install it with a friend who is a big machine mechanic. He has been doing drag racing for years and has plenty of experience building engines and such.

I have the shift kit, bought a new filter, got extra fluid, and I'll be using the provided cork gasket for the pan.

From what I understand:
- Drop the pan
- unbolt valve body
- clean throughout with carb cleaner
- follow directions from the included instructions
- reinstall modified valvebody and filter
- put pan back on
- start truck and shift into neutral
- let idle for 5 minutes so the valve body can refill

Has anyone done an install that could give me some tips?

Soo why ask us?

OP
OP
Mohpar

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Soo why ask us?

Well I was looking for any things to watch out for etc or any other modifications people has found useful, something along those lines...

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I asked Lifted01 to look this over.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have my whole write up in this section unless somebody moved it to the DIY. What are you specifically looking for? For the most parts it's simple, remove the pan, let it drain for a hour or two unless you like it messy, remove all the shift linkages, drop the VB, remove the rooster lever and parking sprag, a few other items to watch out for, it's all in my thread. Should be VB Removal/install

Sent from the howitzer

Last edited:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I'd toss the cork gasket in the bush.There's far better gaskets out there.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far my cork gasket hasn't leaked, torque it correctly and you won't have issues

Sent from the howitzer

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rubber gasket. **** cork.

I'm running cork too though lol

Ok well rubber and cork are the same concept, torque correctly and you won't have an issue...fixing my mistake I'm running a rubber gasket as well not cork.

Sent from the howitzer

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Black RTV works too but I did everything when it was 30-40 F outside so RTV wouldn't of set up like I needed it to so on went a gasket lol

Sent from the howitzer

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Black RTV works too but I did everything when it was 30-40 F outside so RTV wouldn't of set up like I needed it to so on went a gasket lol

Sent from the howitzer

I use nothing on a tranny pan gasket it, not worth the risk of getting any in the system. Tq to spec and it should be fine cork or rubber. My above post was purely sarcastic lol.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use nothing on a tranny pan gasket it, not worth the risk of getting any in the system. Tq to spec and it should be fine cork or rubber. My above post was purely sarcastic lol.

Well jeez we just got talking about giving the wrong info! Haha I wouldn't put anything on a gasket to begin with and I agree about contamination with RTV.

Sent from the howitzer

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
+1 to no RTV. Not unless you wanna wait 2 weeks to before adding fluid to be sure any that squeezes inside is fully dry bit than you still risk some coming loose and lodging somewhere

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all you never ever use rtv with a cork gasket on anything.And if your cork gasket isn't leaking yet, it will.

But hey what would I know?I only did trannies for 15 years.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
First of all you never ever use rtv with a cork gasket on anything.And if your cork gasket isn't leaking yet, it will.

But hey what would I know?I only did trannies for 15 years.

I agree lol ditching the cork next fid and filter job soon as it warms up