Shifting bounces between 3 and 4 with hard acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Help needed in diagnosis!!! – When I get on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 L hard from a stop or speeds below 30 mph in, when it reaches the shift point between 3 and 4 (overdrive) it kicks back and forth three or four times really hard before shifting up into overdrive. Anyone else experienced this? How do I fix this? And what is causing it?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would start with a tv cable adjustment just to be sure that it's good. YouTube can show you pretty well

welder722

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge ram 1500 Slt
Engine
hemi 5.7
Exact same problem I am having if you figure it out plz pass it on to me

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this a diesel? If it is make sure your grounds are clean and that there are no harnesses running by the alternator. Induced voltage will make the transmission hunt for OD.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Sounds like a good candidate for excessive a/c voltage from failing diodes. Moving the harness does not fix the issue. I have had a brake switch cause it as well but that is normally while cruising.

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
jlbayes, you are correct, if the diodes are going out moving the harness will not help much, but I have had functional alternators with a good diode bridge cause OD hunt when the harness is to close.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Most shift kits increase line pressure and apply pressures to the shift valves, which can confuse the transducer/governor function. Changing the TV cable adjustment (as has been suggested) can often clean this up. I've had to also turn the line pressure in about 1/8-1/4 turn to solve this. Never had the issue with the RH and it's mechanical governor.