Shifting issues... still.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright everyone, I know there are plenty of similar posts about this type of issue but none that have answered my problem.. so hopefully this is in the right place to find some good help!

Truck details: 2001 dodge ram 2500

Issues...: when driving, it won't shift from first gear unless I let off of the gas, then the same thing with the next gear, so forth and so on... fluid levels are fine, doesn't seem to be any metal in the pan or any dirty fluid. I put a code reader on it and got p-0500, would the speed sensor be a reasonable culprit? Any help would be appreciated... this is just annoying

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If the speedometer is close to correct, no it won't do anything. Even not having the speed sensor at all shouldn't cause your level of issue.

Might want to check the adjustment on the throttle linkage first. If that doesn't fix it, your issue is probably going to require a rebuild to solve. Its likely that one of the bands or clutches is burnt out. However, some cheap things you can try is a fluid and filter change to start. If you're feeling brave, you can adjust the front band (do so with the pan off so you can see whats going on).

Raymond06076

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I am also having this exact issue. No trouble codes at all. Changed TPS, speed sensor on the side of trans, governor control solenoid, transducer, filter and fluid changed. Adjusted the throttle valve cable.

Did not fix the issue. Any other sensor that might be a culprit? I’d hate to drop the pan again.

OP
OP
Jack317

Jack317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My issue ended up being the abs/speed sensor on the rear differential, replaced it and didn't have any issues afterwords.