Shock recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Collapsed Length and Extended length differ by 0.01". Why would they make 2 different shocks for the same vehicle? Gas vs Diesel?

Part Number:24-268639
Product Type:Shock Absorber

Collapsed Length (IN)15.03
Extended Length (IN)22.63
Collapsed Length (MM)382
Extended Length (MM)575
FinishZinc Plated
ReservoirNo
Body DesignSmooth Body (Non-Coilover)
Body Diameter46mm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Number:24-251754

Collapsed Length (IN)15.04
Extended Length (IN)22.64
Collapsed Length (MM)382
Extended Length (MM)575
FinishZinc Plated
ReservoirNo
Body Diameter46mm

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the link and update. I just purchased them from Summit too. $159 total. That was the best price. Rock Auto doesn't even stock them. Hope I don't have problems removing the OEM fronts like I did with the rears. I hate hacksawing.
If you can get access to a air compressor and a Impact that will help immensely. That or even the harbor freight battery impact would work and you could use it for other projects. You can get it from the top with the right combination of extensions and universals.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I read Summit Racing's description of both. The 24-251754 states:

Notes:Will only fit models equipped with the 6.7L diesel engine.

The 24-268639 doesn't say anything.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you can get access to a air compressor and a Impact that will help immensely. That or even the harbor freight battery impact would work and you could use it for other projects. You can get it from the top with the right combination of extensions and universals.

Thanks. I own a cordless Kobalt impact wrench that has 650 ft lbs of torque. Best tool in my garage. Should do the trick. Hope I can install the shocks next weekend.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. I own a cordless Kobalt impact wrench that has 650 ft lbs of torque. Best tool in my garage. Should do the trick. Hope I can install the shocks next weekend.
The issue you'll have is the drivers side, it will be too big to fit where I had mine so you'll need a couple extensions. I ended up just using torque sticks as extentions. Idk how much experience you have with impacts but just keep pulsing it to get it to come off and tighten up. You'll have those shocks in 2 days probably because they will come from Ohio.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dang, this thread has me looking at shocks. Trying to look away now...
haha. Funny. So easily distracted we are with these trucks. Just think of the "cush", refined ride you could be enjoying in your HD. Does that help? lol

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Collapsed Length and Extended length differ by 0.01". Why would they make 2 different shocks for the same vehicle? Gas vs Diesel?

Part Number:24-268639

Collapsed Length (IN)15.03
Extended Length (IN)22.63
Collapsed Length (MM)382
Extended Length (MM)575
FinishZinc Plated
ReservoirNo
Body Diameter46mm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Number:24-251754

Collapsed Length (IN)15.04
Extended Length (IN)22.64
Collapsed Length (MM)382
Extended Length (MM)575
FinishZinc Plated
ReservoirNo
Body Diameter46mm
Probably different valving due to the extra weight of the cummins. The one for cummins would probably work fine, but be a stiffer ride on a gas truck.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Probably different valving due to the extra weight of the cummins. The one for cummins would probably work fine, but be a stiffer ride on a gas truck.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Same specs, but different internal valves with the much heavier diesel. I choose correctly then. Can't wait to get them installed.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
haha. Funny. So easily distracted we are with these trucks. Just think of the "cush", refined ride you could be enjoying in your HD. Does that help? lol
Oh hell no! Plus, being an off-roader has me on the Fox and King web sites...