Should I buy this diesel when I dont tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prellz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
I want a diesel because they last a long time and I want to be able to buy one vehicle preferably a pick up truck and not replace it anytime in the near future. I have heard of diesels running up 500k miles and even 800k which is what I would love to do. The specs are below

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Lone Star Cummins 600 5.9L I6 DI 24V High-Output Turbodiesel, ABS brakes, Compass, Heated door mirrors, Illuminated entry, Remote keyless entry.

Miles: 90864
Fuel: Diesel
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: RWD
Price:25k

I maybe towing in the far future as well (small boat, small trailer) but the main motivation is to have a vehicle that lasts. I'm new to diesel and new to the mechanic community. As a result I'm a little intimidated and would like as much advice and/or information on my idea to purchase. I will be moving a lot because I'm in the military. I don't have tools to work on cars but willing to buy and learn. Only downside I can see is the rwd and maintenance cost.

questions...
What maintenance is required, how often and how much?
Any known issues with the Cummins 5.9L?
Any warnings for using a manuel trans?
Anything you wish you knew before buying your first diesel?

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want a diesel because they last a long time and I want to be able to buy one vehicle preferably a pick up truck and not replace it anytime in the near future. I have heard of diesels running up 500k miles and even 800k which is what I would love to do. The specs are below

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Lone Star Cummins 600 5.9L I6 DI 24V High-Output Turbodiesel, ABS brakes, Compass, Heated door mirrors, Illuminated entry, Remote keyless entry.

Miles: 90864
Fuel: Diesel
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: RWD
Price:25k

I maybe towing in the far future as well (small boat, small trailer) but the main motivation is to have a vehicle that lasts. I'm new to diesel and new to the mechanic community. As a result I'm a little intimidated and would like as much advice and/or information on my idea to purchase. I will be moving a lot because I'm in the military. I don't have tools to work on cars but willing to buy and learn. Only downside I can see is the rwd and maintenance cost.

questions...
What maintenance is required, how often and how much?
Any known issues with the Cummins 5.9L?
Any warnings for using a manuel trans?
Anything you wish you knew before buying your first diesel?
I can't offer a ton of info other then, the 5.9L Cummins is bullet proof if properly maintained. Will outlive the truck in many cases, and the manual trans is way better then the auto. Regular maint. Is more costly then a gasser but pays off in the long run, 90k miles is nothing on that engine. It's a turbo diesel so things like letting the turbo cool down before shutting off is something most people don't do and end up having problems, but you can buy a turbo timer so it turns itself off after cool down. Something you should really think about though is the 2WD. You said you want it to basically be your forever truck, and though some people truly don't need 4WD really ever, most do. But just a consideration maybe you'll never need 4WD idk. Sounds like a good truck though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Prellz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Is getting warrenty on the power train worth it?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You not being able to work on the truck I would say yes if you can get a complete power train warranty. The Cummins is a very good engine like that has been said the engine will out last the truck take a look around there are a few old 2500 and 3500 first gen still running strong and have a ton of mile on the engine.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My 1999 Cummins would have been my forever truck... if it had been a 4wd.
A 2wd diesel is really a bad idea if you need to drive in snow or other less than marginal conditions. At least mine was terrible. Too much weight on the front axles...
90k on the clock is nothing. They really were not considered broken in till 75k.
Auto trannys from those years were not the best, but can be built and vastly improved, if you have the coin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it were a 4x4 that would be a truck worth its weight in gold. That motor will outlive most of us with proper care.

One thing to consider with the glow plug motors, oil changes are not cheap!

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The Cummins has no glow plugs.. (or glow plug motors??)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only downside I can see is the rwd and maintenance cost.

I would not consider spending $25k for a 10 year old 100k mile 2WD truck. I don't care what's under the hood. That's just me though.

The fact that you have already identified it as a downside should tell you something. I can see you ending up with buyers remorse If you go that route. If you said "yeah...it's a 2WD, but I've been driving for 20+ years and I've never had a use for it..." I would say "have at it."