Should I Buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EngineerPig22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9L/360
Hey guys, new to the forum, I have been reading and soaking up as much info as I can. Local dealer has a used 2002 1500 ST RWD Crew Cab with a 5.9L V8. 137k miles. Nothing fancy, I'm looking for a truck I can beat up, haul lumber, take into the woods, and commute about 50 miles round trip 5 days a week.

Here is the dealer add:

Pre-Owned 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Crew Cab Pickup in Jacksonville #P9340A | Arlington Toyota

It's only $2,991.

Anything I should look out for? Assuming it is still here after Irma, I'm going to take a look at it next week.

Thanks!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd take a good look at the front suspension and specifically the track bar end links. That generation had that issue and I had to replace mine.

The intake manifold has a tendency to fall prey to leaks and the 46RE transmission in the V8 powered trucks had a few issues. Lastly, the dash pad was known to crack and fall apart. I believe they fixed that issue in the later production years of the trucks by adding more structure under the cover.

All in all those are pretty good trucks. As with any vehicle that old, it really boils down to how well it was maintained and how hard previous owners were on the truck.

I'd inspect it as you would with any other older used vehicle.

Good luck!

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't buy from a dealer thats too lazy/cheap to fill the wssher fluid reservoir before taking pics for advertisement. :)

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
You really want to go in the woods without 4wd.
Also bring a diagnostic capable mechanic with a good scan tool to look deep in pcm for stored codes, problems, etc. these 3gen are notorious for pcm and tipcm failure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EngineerPig22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9L/360
Thanks for all the feedback!

Skyramman: When I say 'take into the woods' I mean trails, uplands, construction sites, nothing too swampy or anything I will really get stuck in.

Skubasteve!: I noticed that too, wasn't sure if they just hadn't added fluid yet, or if they had a policy with these used trade ins that their mechanics can't touch them? I've asked the rep who was all too eager to get me to come test drive but has delayed his response on the fluid.

Maddog: I'm assuming you are James 'Mad Dog' Mattis (if not please don't correct me), in which case it's an honor to have your help.
For the track bar, do I have them shake the wheel and see if there is vertical play? Or will I see damage such as cracking in the link?
As for the intake leak/ transmission issues, other than just driving it and 'feeling' something, is there any other way to tell without tearing the truck apart, i.e. just looking under the hood?
Lastly, i'm ok if the dash is cracking, not a huge upset.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd take a good look at the front suspension and specifically the track bar end links. That generation had that issue and I had to replace mine.

Are you talking about the sway bar endlinks? Doesn't the 2002 2wd have IFS up front?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't buy from a dealer thats too lazy/cheap to fill the wssher fluid reservoir before taking pics for advertisement. :)
I have a bug in my 07. The low washer fluid warning comes on intermittently even though it's full. LOL

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the track bar, do I have them shake the wheel and see if there is vertical play? Or will I see damage such as cracking in the link?
As for the intake leak/ transmission issues, other than just driving it and 'feeling' something, is there any other way to tell without tearing the truck apart, i.e. just looking under the hood?

Im no expert on the 2002 2wd, but I dont think it would have a track bar. A track bar or panhard bar is found on straight axle vehicles. It's whole purpose is to center the axle under the truck. If he meant the sway bar end links, just take a crow bar and move them around and check for play. They wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as they're fairly easy to replace and inexpensive.

Intake leak you should be able to find by running the engine and spraying some carb cleaner around the manifold. If the RPMs change, you have a leak. For the transmission, you'll need to drive it.

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to add a opinion, I have an 02 4wd with a 5.9 and love it. I've had it for the last year and have only one issue (motor blew up at 140k). I would say that was due to neglect from the previous owner as it spun 3 bearings and had a fair amount of sludge.

Anyway, I've been told by quite a few people that having that kind of failure in a 5.9 is incredibly rare if maintained. As maddog said, it all comes does to how well it was maintained.

Also, be prepared to spend a lot on gas, I get 9-10mpg (but I also have 4wd).

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks to be solid for the $

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a bug in my 07. The low washer fluid warning comes on intermittently even though it's full. LOL

The reservoir sensor can get gunked up and cause that to happen. new sensor is i think like 6 bucks lol or i found on here by johhnymack that if you run a bottle of rubbing alcohol through it it can clean the sensor and fix the issue.