Should I pass on this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-dodge-4x4-recent-engine/6288538660.html

So, my 2000 ram is running just fine. Its got a new tranny and a bunch of new parts. However, I really want a 4 door for obvious reasons but idk if this is the truck to convince me to get rid of my 2nd gen.

It looks to be in great shape. New motor and tranny from what hes said. The big concern I have is the engine. Its the same as my 2nd gen. So thats not really an upgrade. Id be paying 8500 or so just for the 4 doors basically.

So basically what are the pros and cons to 3rd gens. I really like the 06+ 3rd gens the best but they are hard to find around here.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-dodge-4x4-recent-engine/6288538660.html

So, my 2000 ram is running just fine. Its got a new tranny and a bunch of new parts. However, I really want a 4 door for obvious reasons but idk if this is the truck to convince me to get rid of my 2nd gen.

It looks to be in great shape. New motor and tranny from what hes said. The big concern I have is the engine. Its the same as my 2nd gen. So thats not really an upgrade. Id be paying 8500 or so just for the 4 doors basically.

So basically what are the pros and cons to 3rd gens. I really like the 06+ 3rd gens the best but they are hard to find around here.
It's really hard to say because idk what the market is like for that truck out there but here in Oregon that is a definite do not buy. Sky high price and and he definitely did not maintain that truck like he claims or it would still be the original 5.9 at that millage. A few cheap mods like smoked tails and rims don't make it worth double. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
It's really hard to say because idk what the market is like for that truck out there but here in Oregon that is a definite do not buy. Sky high price and and he definitely did not maintain that truck like he claims or it would still be the original 5.9 at that millage. A few cheap mods like smoked tails and rims don't make it worth double. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah the truck market here is super good. This truck wont last long at all. For me, i'm looking at the interior as a barometer for how he took care of it. The leather is in great condition, he put weather tech type floor mats in the back completely. And anyone that spends that kind of money for just floor mats must like the truck enough to spend the money for that.

I get what you're saying about the new motor. I dont know the scoop on it, Im gonna ask him the details on the whole thing tomorrow. But I think I can talk him down to around 8k or so. That might be more doable at that price.

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yeah the truck market here is super good. This truck wont last long at all. For me, i'm looking at the interior as a barometer for how he took care of it. The leather is in great condition, he put weather tech type floor mats in the back completely. And anyone that spends that kind of money for just floor mats must like the truck enough to spend the money for that.

I get what you're saying about the new motor. I dont know the scoop on it, Im gonna ask him the details on the whole thing tomorrow. But I think I can talk him down to around 8k or so. That might be more doable at that price.
Yeah if I'd have bought that I'd be much happier instead I got the same year but in 2wd. Tell him you'd like a mechanic to look at it. Normally I'd be concerned about him managing to blow that 5.9 but it's possible he's not the first owner so ask question and have it inspected by a mechanic you trust. Hope it works to your satisfaction.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
How do the 3rd gens ride? Is the suspension the same as 06+ 3rd gens?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Also make sure you bring a scanner to look deep in pcm for stored codes like, corrupted pcm or tipcm, these are infamous problems on 3g's especially with the induction hood if it's a flow through one. It lets more water close to pcm,tcm to speed up corrosion.
My old girl rides like a caddy lol, nah but pretty good, only because I replaced every bal joint n bushing there is,

Last edited:
OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Of that I'm unsure I have my first truck still. That said mine is a comfortable ride.

Ok cool. Ride quality isnt that important to me but im coming from a 2nd gen so we all know how bad those ride lol

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
3rd gens ride pretty nicely and the seats are very comfortable as well.

Looks like a good truck with a high price that may or may not have been maintained well given the fact that the engine and trans have been replaced.

But the fact that they have is a plus, IMHO. You are basically starting with good components.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My opinion I don't think it matters why or how the engine and tranny went, the fact that the engine and tranny are new is what matters. Check bearings and bushings, see how worn they are and if they will require replacing any time soon. Was anything else serviced at 100k miles? Transfer case oil? Radiator flush? etc. See what the warranty is on the engine and tranny, there should be one for each. Check the transfer case, make sure everything works and shifts smoothly. Check KBB to see what that truck would sell for in your area, that should give you a gauge on where to start haggling. Yes, he has suspension, tires/wheels, stereo upgrades but that should only play a small part on the negotiation process. I'd definitely try and get that for cheaper.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I was gonna upgrade from a 2nd gen to 3rd I'd either go for a hemi or the only 5.9 I'd get isn't in the 1500s

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My brother had an 01 with the 5.2 motor, I have the 03 with the 5.7. I would say my truck is way nicer overall. I hated his suicide doors, and the interior just looked worse overall. I don't have any experience with the 5.9, but you probably already know what you're getting with it. I like the way my truck rides, it's pretty comfortable. My opinion would be try to find a hemi if you want to keep your truck for awhile, I think in the end you would be happier with an engine upgrade as well. Just my .02

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
**** didn't notice it was a 5.9 Yeah if you can find a 5.7 your wallet will thank you otherwise talk him down