Showing off what I've learned. Paint correction in progress.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That Collinite is some great stuff. My go to all the time everytime.
Jay

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No updates or anything this week. Have had a lot of bad things happening lately so I'll get back to it soon!

But got a refill.

zyPMxbz.png

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has been filthy because of how busy I am with work. So I decided to give it a wash.

Which lead to a clay bar, sealant, Colinite and VRP.

A2DFr3j.png

I have to say, I think this Chemical Guys V.R.P. is one of my new favorite products. The smell is amazing and it looks great.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only light that shows minor paint swirls and marring is what the gas stations use. I think it's tungsten halides? That's what o need to detail and correct white paint.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only light that shows minor paint swirls and marring is what the gas stations use. I think it's tungsten halides? That's what o need to detail and correct white paint.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I've been looking into the proper lighting to take car of them correctly. Hoping to make that a winter project, if I can find the time. :roflsquared:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been looking into the proper lighting to take car of them correctly. Hoping to make that a winter project, if I can find the time. :roflsquared:

Let me know how you get on fella, as Im really struggling to view defects via various lights that I use on a white vehicle. Best so far is low ambient light for me, but struggle to chase them swirls and marks - constantly moving my head and back up and down / side to side LOL. Those beautiful lights at the gas stations show everything, with little to no adjustments on my part needed. HAHA

:)

PS. Do I see Strongbow cider there? OMG. nuff said.

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me know how you get on fella, as Im really struggling to view defects via various lights that I use on a white vehicle. Best so far is low ambient light for me, but struggle to chase them swirls and marks - constantly moving my head and back up and down / side to side LOL. Those beautiful lights at the gas stations show everything, with little to no adjustments on my part needed. HAHA

:)

PS. Do I see Strongbow cider there? OMG. nuff said.

You definitely do, girlfriend only drinks ciders lol. I'm more of craft beer man myself.

White is such a freaking pain! Everything looks great until you move your head and you see the swirls. I need to get a microfiber pad anyways, I know for sure that would do the trick. But it'll probably leave one little ******* on the hood that I just can't get :roflsquared:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You definitely do, girlfriend only drinks ciders lol. I'm more of craft beer man myself.

White is such a freaking pain! Everything looks great until you move your head and you see the swirls. I need to get a microfiber pad anyways, I know for sure that would do the trick. But it'll probably leave one little ******* on the hood that I just can't get :roflsquared:

I used to drink that stuff when I was student back home . It was used as part of a drink called a "snake bite". Pint glass, half lager or beer then rest strongbow cider, then a dash or two of rasberry cordial which made a sort of chemical reaction that seriously damaged the brain cells.

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to drink that stuff when I was student back home . It was used as part of a drink called a "snake bite". Pint glass, half lager or beer then rest strongbow cider, then a dash or two of rasberry cordial which made a sort of chemical reaction that seriously damaged the brain cells.

I can't lie, love a snakebite. I'm guilty of drinking her ciders from time to time because, lets face it, they are pretty tasty. And I know she won't drink my beer :favorites13:

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it bad, I'm still not entirely happy with the beads?

H2z4fGl.png

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey some one else uses CG!!! Nice.. I have heard that the citrus wash and gloss is great, however its a wax stripper, and its pretty strong - should not be used as a normal soap. I use their Wash+Wax and it works great. For "wax" I don't use wax.. I use their Jet Seal, which is a sealant. I could layer it, and if I did I would layer it with Collinites 915. But since my truck is so big and it takes half a day just to wash and seal, it would take another few hours to do the 915 since that stuff is very difficult to apply and remove. Also when I apply the jet seal I let it sit for a few hours before I remove it.

If your looking for protection you can't go wrong with Jet Seal, it's supposed to last 12 months, however I like to apply it to my cars before the winter for salt protection.

I love chemical guys products. I wish I could sample everything they sell.

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the awesome write up.

Any time!

Hey some one else uses CG!!! Nice.. I have heard that the citrus wash and gloss is great, however its a wax stripper, and its pretty strong - should not be used as a normal soap. I use their Wash+Wax and it works great. For "wax" I don't use wax.. I use their Jet Seal, which is a sealant. I could layer it, and if I did I would layer it with Collinites 915. But since my truck is so big and it takes half a day just to wash and seal, it would take another few hours to do the 915 since that stuff is very difficult to apply and remove. Also when I apply the jet seal I let it sit for a few hours before I remove it.

If your looking for protection you can't go wrong with Jet Seal, it's supposed to last 12 months, however I like to apply it to my cars before the winter for salt protection.

I love chemical guys products. I wish I could sample everything they sell.

What's up CG brother! I have heard of Jet Seal, and it's on my list of products to try. With my truck sitting outside this winter, I want another layer of protection. I'm not sure if the Griots will hold up, haven't made up my mind on what sealant I wanted to use just yet. My truck gets washed about 1-2 times a month with it and results have been pretty great. Still great beading and shine. I used the Citrus Hyperwash, and that did a pretty good job at stripping the wax and preparing for clay. But there might not have been much wax on the truck when I used it.

I do need another mitt as it's been nearly 18 months, think it's time to look into some black Friday deals on those! Greatly appreciate the input!

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Awesome write up great Job.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Collinite 845 might be a good alternative instead of 915. I tried to use 915 and it almost killed me---like you said way to hard to use. 845 is easy on and easy off and I think does a great job, either by its self or used to top a sealant.
Jay

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome write up great Job.

Thank you sir, appreciate the feedback.

Collinite 845 might be a good alternative instead of 915. I tried to use 915 and it almost killed me---like you said way to hard to use. 845 is easy on and easy off and I think does a great job, either by its self or used to top a sealant.
Jay

I agree. I have heard of 915, but never looked into it. 845 is so easy to use and is such an awesome product, I see no reason for me to go to 915. Those from up north, might need something a bit more aggressive. But here in the south 845 will work just fine. :favorites13:

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Soo.. I need to do this.. I had a free coupon for one of those car washes with the spinning things and it scratched the **** out of my clear coat.. my truck is all black and it's really noticeable. Needless to say I will never go though one of those washes again - free or not..

I don't really trust anyone to do paint correction on my truck however its approaching winter time fast here and I don't have a garage and this whole process is going to take a day at least, and with a new kid I just don't have that kind of time without the never ending nagging of my wife... SO.. with that said I have been looking around at detailing shops and this job starts at around 150 bucks, for my truck i'm thinking it will be closer to 200 or a bit over

I keep going back and forth tho.. CG makes a cheap kit (Chemical Guys - V36 Optical Grade Cutting Polish + V38 Final Polish (16 oz)) but id still need to buy a DA and pads, and again.. TIME.. ugh..

So after the cost of a DA, the products, the time I dont know if it will be worth it as I won't be doing this often, if ever again.. and i have NEVER done this before so I dont want to screw it up.

What do you guys think? Think I should just pay someone to do it? or listen to the music?

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soo.. I need to do this.. I had a free coupon for one of those car washes with the spinning things and it scratched the **** out of my clear coat.. my truck is all black and it's really noticeable. Needless to say I will never go though one of those washes again - free or not..

I don't really trust anyone to do paint correction on my truck however its approaching winter time fast here and I don't have a garage and this whole process is going to take a day at least, and with a new kid I just don't have that kind of time without the never ending nagging of my wife... SO.. with that said I have been looking around at detailing shops and this job starts at around 150 bucks, for my truck i'm thinking it will be closer to 200 or a bit over

I keep going back and forth tho.. CG makes a cheap kit (Chemical Guys - V36 Optical Grade Cutting Polish + V38 Final Polish (16 oz)) but id still need to buy a DA and pads, and again.. TIME.. ugh..

So after the cost of a DA, the products, the time I dont know if it will be worth it as I won't be doing this often, if ever again.. and i have NEVER done this before so I dont want to screw it up.

What do you guys think? Think I should just pay someone to do it? or listen to the music?

Dang that a tough spot. Those car washes make me cringe now, but we all make mistakes.

Chemical guys does make good products, but I have not used their cutting or finishing products just yet. The 8 oz bottles that I used of megs m105 and m205 are pretty cheap as well. But it couldn't hurt to give the chemical guys products a shot! Keep in mind, you will need to buy your pads. For a DA, the harbor freight DA is pretty cheap if you print off one of their 20% off coupons. It's definitely not the best, but it'll give you a good idea if you enjoy this process. You can always sell it to a beginner as well and upgrade it later.

You don't have to worry about damaging your paint or plastics so long as you take your time. Ensure that your pad does not dry out, work in small sections (ideally 16" x 16" but I've done pretty well with 24" x 24"). It was about this time last year I decided to start this process. I did my research on what products to use and what my budget was. Making sure I had all the proper towels and techniques. Waited until weather was better for me to attempt the process, as I was anxious to start as soon as I bought my first product.

For your first time, you'll need the better part of a weekend. My first proper wash (two bucket method, drying, clay bar) took me 3 hours alone. I realized what was and wasn't working, then was able to refine my process for next time. Also found out what products I like and what I wanted to try next time. After I did the driver side, the passenger side was a breeze. I'm a big fan of DIY and you'll have the products to correct any sort of future swirling (they will come back, especially on black). So I would definitely suggest giving it a shot on your own especially if you don't know a good detailer in your area. I have no doubt you'll be able to take out a good majority of the scratches on your first go round. The middle of the hood and roof are the hardest part for sure. But the panels of the truck are all fairly flat and are pretty easy to work.

Hope it helps!