Side Step Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I just ordered a 2018 PW. I didn't get the RAM step bars and was wondering what step bars (other than factory) others are using on their Power Wagon. Please post pics of what you got and list likes / dislikes. Thanks

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Aries 3" Rocker steps on my 17 PW. i really like them. they have the look of a slider. the fit and finish is great on them. We offer many options, so if we can help you out let me know. we offer discounts for the members here.

If you are going to be wheeling and want an actual slider for protection then go with White Knuckle sliders

OP
OP
MJockey

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I doubt I'll be doing a lot of rock crawling. At least not while it's new. I was thinking about the Amp Powersteps. Does anyone have these on their PW?

17BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I doubt I'll be doing a lot of rock crawling. At least not while it's new. I was thinking about the Amp Powersteps. Does anyone have these on their PW?

Yes I have them on my PW. I love them.. They tuck out of the way clean and are solid.. 600lb capacity.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the AMP steps are an awesome option. i havent sold any to PW owners yet but many 2500 owners and they love them. I would have done the same if I didnt choose to go with a cheaper option.

we offer them as well if you would like a quote with a member discount let me know

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the AMP steps on my 1500. and they're great!! I needed them for the wife as she's partially disabled. Most steps don't come down far enough for her, and those that do kill the ground clearance. The AMPS are a bit more expensive, but for me, they're worth it.

Took a while to get used to the noise though - I get in, close the door, and turn the key, and just about then, the step retracts, and I think something is broken in the starter :)

OP
OP
MJockey

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So I contacted AMP and apparently RAM's body control module coding has changed for 2018. They said it would be a minimum of 8 weeks before they had a plug and play version for 2018 RAM 2500s. According to the dealer, my PW should be here before Thanksgiving. So do I wait or go with a hard wire kit???? Has anyone put in a hard wired AMP Powerstep? It looks it be a pain to get to the wire way under the dash.

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's worth the wait to have it done right. I love the AMP research lowering side steps. The really are worth it as value goes for anyone with mobility issues with not impeding ground clearance at all.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not an issue of being "done right", just that the hard wire version is more work. If the plug and play model plugs into the OBD port, then I prefer my hard-wires. But it's a personal call, the hardware of the steps is likely to be the same in either case.

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am also going to add an extension kit to lower the steps another 2". This is a great option as you can get longer extensions to accommodate higher lifted trucks and still have them tucked under when in the raised position.

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As far as being done right, I also am waiting for the plug and play option. I currently have it hard wired and connected to the alternate alternator. With the correct plug and play electronics the PCM controls all electronics in use and sheds loads if the system goes low on power ie the battery is getting low. My personal view is to have as little as possible connected to a hardwaire thru the connections for the alternator, although they will work just fine I like to have the truck aware of any devises added.

Bajazet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I had more money or if they had Canadian distributor, I'll go White Knuckle Rock Sliders. The AMP are realy nice but I prefer the Off road look of the White Knuckle.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
check and see if RAm still has the Automobility program. If so, they will give you some money for installing steps, if medically necessary for someone who will be using the truck.
think it was $400 US.

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wish we had that program here in Canada. The amp steps were $2900 and the extensions for my disability are $400. The DVA will pay for some but not all.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang! $2900? Seems like a lot for the boards, did you have them installed?

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, I had them installed for that. I am adding a 2" extension to allow for my service related disability (paratrooper). With my injuries in the special service force I can't do many things on the truck myself. But, I still have a ton of mods done!

PastorJack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
x2 on the tyger bars... I like them for the same reason. Install was super easy with the factory holes lining up perfectly.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Tygers are nice looking boards, but don't come down far enough for my needs.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4