Skidplate removal (Stuck bolts)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'm working on replacing my catalytic converter. I cut the old piping to make removal easier and unbolted it from the header and the muffler. I had assumed that I could slide the new one in without removing the transmission skid plate, but couldn't find a way to do it.

So I started pulling bolts on the skid plate and the cross member attaching it to the frame. On a positive note, 11 of the 14 bolts came out with a reasonable amount of effort and two of the others have already been drilled out. :crazy: Now I need to get it unattached from the bottom of the transmission. There appear to be three possible places I can separate it: Top (4 bolts into to the transmission, 3 easily removable), middle (two side bolts above the rubber mount, both stuck hard) or bottom (two bolts going up into the rubber mount, both stuck hard.)

I'm assuming my best bet is to go after the last bolt holding it to the transmission. (Please tell me if there is an easier way, though) Since the two other bolts I had to drill out had stripped, I want to do anything I can to pull the last bolt without stripping it. Due to its location, there isn't any way to drill it out if I strip it. Additionally, since it bolts into the transmission housing, I don't think I can get crazy with a torch for risk of warping the transmission housing. I've put several daily applications of PB Blaster and ATF/Acetone, but I don't know how much good it is doing since I can only apply it nearby between the plate and the transmission.

So, the big two questions:
1) What is the best I can do to avoid stripping that bolt when I finally put a breaker bar & 6pt socket on it and give it the final ITS EITHER COMING LOSE OR THE BOLT IS BREAKING yank? Due to location, I can't use my impact guns.
2) The cross member seems still stuck to the frame even with the bolts removed. (Can't wiggle it yet since the above bolt isn't yet out.) Can I just break it free with an air chisel into the gap where it meets the frame to unstick it, or is there something more than just corrosion, dirt and dried grease holding in on?) IOW, once the bolts are out where it meets the frame and the transmission, it should be (reasonably) easy to remove, right?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can definitely get away with a little propane or a heat gun. Just try to greasy the area area around the bolt for 2-3 minutes if propane and 5-10 if heat gun then put a piece of ice against the bolt head itself. Or spray with something good and cold. It'll give you the best separation