Sloppy Steering Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tragikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum v8 5.9l
Yet another word of caution on this.

When you rebuild these steering boxes you have to set the preload on the input side (the side your steering shaft connects to) then after inserting the sector shaft you have to get your over center adjustment which is a combination of the preload + the adjustment of the adjuster on the sector shaft.
I am only over explaining this in hopes that everyone understands that it only takes very small adjustments to make the box bind up. you will notice this easily with a bar style torque wrench on the bench but you will never do it properly on the truck.
The only real solution would be to replace or rebuild.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
Yet another word of caution on this.

When you rebuild these steering boxes you have to set the preload on the input side (the side your steering shaft connects to) then after inserting the sector shaft you have to get your over center adjustment which is a combination of the preload + the adjustment of the adjuster on the sector shaft.
I am only over explaining this in hopes that everyone understands that it only takes very small adjustments to make the box bind up. you will notice this easily with a bar style torque wrench on the bench but you will never do it properly on the truck.
The only real solution would be to replace or rebuild.
This is true, but to add to it, if you're adjusting the box's preload and over-centers, the box is due for a rebuild, anyway ;)
These "in-truck" adjustments are merely band-aids for the inevitable.

tragikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum v8 5.9l
This is true, but to add to it, if you're adjusting the box's preload and over-centers, the box is due for a rebuild, anyway ;)
These "in-truck" adjustments are merely band-aids for the inevitable.

Fair enough I Love simple little tricks myself. I'd just hate to see someone destroy what's left of the box :)

2000DirtyDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Club Cab SLT
Engine
5.9/Auto/2WD
Just did this adjustment BTW. WOW, what an improvement. I actually had to turn mine about 3/4 a turn to get good results. Now i just have to rebuild my front suspension....

gofastturnleft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Ive done this but to no avail. So im going through and replacing all my rod ends and track bar including steering box. Dose any one know where I can find a good steering box for a decent price?

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
lots of guys recomend redhead
i just replaced mine this weekend with a reman form advance auto it was $160 works great for now and i not to worried about it lasting forever just as long as it makes it about 3 years

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Well i finally tried this. I went 3/4 and I can't really see a difference. I'm scared to tighten further. I need a new box but I'm trying to get a good trade value without putting more money into it.

Last edited:

mikepmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram charger
ive got a 89 ram charger and ive replaced everything between the gearbox to the steering shaft and i still have sloppy steering , tie rods ,ball joints everything there is good . what is next to do

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Probly need to readdress the front suspension [ball joints,tierods]4x4[idler arm,control arm bushings]2wd all these components cause wandering. I personally tightened my box on my 98/3500 it worked i saw major improvement [still had to replace tierod ends]. I have not tightened my box on my 01 ram 4x4 yet i'm still replacing frontend parts!!!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Pitman arm on this rig?

$miley

RichE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New here, but I have had a few dodge trucks.

For the life of me I cant find the nut/key that you are supposed to loose/tighten.

Does anyone have a picture of a good link to show me where it is?

Thanks

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's out of focus but it's the nut in the middle of the top of the box

100_5900_zpsf758d139.jpg

RichE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the picture now I see mine LOL

Is it easier to crawl under it and get to it or do i dig in and go thru the top?

Also is it a Allen wrench that is used to tighten it?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That depends on how tall your truck is. lol
If you've got a 2WD, it's likely easier from the top, 4x4, bottom. I don't think I can even get to mine without being VERY, VERY uncomfortable plus a step stool. lol

Yes, use a box wrench to loosen the locking nut a bit, then the allen key to tighten the adjustment screw. Only turn the screw a 1/4 rotation at a time, hold it, tighten the locking nut down and test it.

Rinse and repeat as necessary but if you end up making a full turn, don't go anymore. lol

RichE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok Im confused.

I know I need to replace the tie rods on the left side and thats part of my sloppy steering. Well I was driving it today and the roads were not plowed so I threw it in to 4 high and the steering seemed to change from sloppy to decently good.

Why would the steering tighten up while in 4 high but as soon as i disengage the 4 wd the sloppy steering returns?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Because you're confusing axle binding with sloppy steering. lol

When the axle is under power, everything takes more effort to move, so it feels like it's not as sloppy.

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
OK... I was all over the road right after i bought a used 1996 1500 4x4 auto. It wanders bad, takes a sec to correct and seems to make you 'chase your steering'.

I bought a reman gearbox and put it in.... same exact issue. I have read about lower column spring bushing causing this, need a frame stabilizer that 'adds' a second bearing below the pitman arm AND takes out frame flex, etc. Heard it could be tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. As well as (obviously) the steering gear box replacement which everyone I know thought it was.

Cardone has a video that expressly says this is a misdiagnosis, but doesnt then tell you what the actual diagnosis is. Is this nut tightening and loosening a good idea to try on a new gear box, or can I rule that out since its new and is doing the exact same thing as the old one?

Frustrated

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The remanned box needs to have the preload set in a vice properly the first time, the remanners don't do this usually being that the only remanned boxes that work well are the Redhead Steering Gear boxes.

There is a 2001 Dodge Factory Service manual in the DIY section of the forum that you can download that has the preload adjustment procedure outlined.

Now, you CAN tighten the adjustment screw down and for some boxes that will help, it helped mine a little, but it can also hurt it.

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
Sorry... whats "the preload"?

Wondering after driving it more today if all new ball joints and tie rods and an alignment would help alot? Also read someone said traction bar?