sloppy steering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 12vcummins59, Dec 27, 2016.

1. 12vcummins59

12vcummins59 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    As the title states, I've got really sloppy steering in my 96 3/4 ton. The play is for sure in the steering box which was replaced last spring. I have tried doing the adjustment that there is a write up for in the DIY section with no luck. Anything I could stop tighten it up? Thanks.

2. dapepper9

dapepper9 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L V8
    My first suggestion is take it in to a reliable honest alignment shop. They'll verify whether or not something else is causing you an issue that you may not have checked. Also reman steering boxes really aren't that great usually. Misty would recommend a Redhead rebuilt box or a borgeson box. Lastly, there's a bushing that you can sparkly replace in the steering column that kills play in the shaft

3. 12vcummins59

12vcummins59 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    Thank-you will look into that

4. Yeret

Yeret Senior Member

Under the hood, trying to find that ****ing bolt/n
    Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    I'm not necessarily going to make a recommendation, but I'll play the black sheep role nonetheless. My truck had the usual 2nd gen steering slop and I opted to buy and install one of those "steering stabilizers." I will say that it tightened up the steering considerably. I have had my steering box looked at prior to this and it is pretty much used up to the point where it can't be adjusted and it does leak a little. Also, my truck has always pulled a bit to the right. I purchased the stabilizer because at the time (and my then ****ty job) it was the cheapest route to go to "fix" the problem.

So, with a good steering box and an alignment, I'm not sure how effective a stabilizer would be. I think that it'll either help or do nothing at all. I'd say fix/replace everything involved with steering and get a good alignment first. Afterwards if you're still not happy, consider a stabilizer. If you're STILL not happy, consider that our trucks use a pitman arm setup rather than a much slicker but more expensive rack and pinion setup. In other words, you'll have to deal with it, LOL.

5. 12vcummins59

12vcummins59 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9

A steering stabilizer is actually the first thing I put on the truck after getting it and it helped a little bit, hopefully gonna get it aligned with new tires this weekend. Hopefully that helps