Sluggishness and bad gas mileage 2013 hemi 4x4 big horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You need to pull your valve covers and take a look. Maybe you save the cam. From your description you have a lifter issue.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Sean, what tranny and which rear end gear ratio do you have?

If you should happen to have broken manifold bolts, I highly recommend Shorty Headers from Matt @ Moe's.

OP
OP
Sean5050

Sean5050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey Sean, what tranny and which rear end gear ratio do you have?

If you should happen to have broken manifold bolts, I highly recommend Shorty Headers from Matt @ Moe's.

Shep98

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7L
Sean,
First off...You spelled your name wrong! I spell mine the correct way. Shawn(Only kidding)

I had this very same issue (symptoms) with my 2011 Big Horn 4X4 and around the same mileage too. I first changed the plugs and coil packs. No change. It has already been mentioned a couple of times but if I had to place a wager on it I would say its most definitely a cam lobe that has been worn down. Mine was almost completely round. If I remember correctly if was on cyl. 4. Luckily I was able to have the dealership perform the work and it was covered under the factory warranty. Let me know if you want it and I can upload the dealership customer work invoice.
Hope this helps.
Shawn

OP
OP
Sean5050

Sean5050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sean,
First off...You spelled your name wrong! I spell mine the correct way. Shawn(Only kidding)

I had this very same issue (symptoms) with my 2011 Big Horn 4X4 and around the same mileage too. I first changed the plugs and coil packs. No change. It has already been mentioned a couple of times but if I had to place a wager on it I would say its most definitely a cam lobe that has been worn down. Mine was almost completely round. If I remember correctly if was on cyl. 4. Luckily I was able to have the dealership perform the work and it was covered under the factory warranty. Let me know if you want it and I can upload the dealership customer work invoice.
Hope this helps.
Shawn

Turns out it is a lifter issue. Dealership has it, and luckily still covered under the powertrain warranty. I appreciate all of the help guys. And Shawn, I believe you mispelled yours...hahaha!!

Shep98

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7L
Sean,

Im glad its still covered under warranty for you. It would be an expensive repair if not. Sounds like the very same issue I had. I meant to say in my last post the it was a lifter issue. The lifter wears (grinds) the cam lobe down to round. The technician told me the the hydraulic roller lifter actually gets turned sideways and no longer rolls over the cam essentially turning it into a flat tappet lifter.

Thanks again,
Shawn

MajMike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You know, you could trade it in and get an Ecodiesel, 19/27 mpg and 440 ft pds of torque, sluggishness be gone. :D

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes, it is the lifters. Dealership looking more in depth tomorrow. It's still covered under the powertrain.

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully you still have some drivetrain warranty left.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Glad to hear they are replacing the cam as well.
Dont see why they wont replace all the lifters, just dont make since to me.
I would buy the rest of the lifters and have them use the new ones instead of letting them stick the old ones back in.
Just my opinion, weird like that.. lol