small fuel leak at fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
Contending with a very small fuel leak at the tank on my 04 Cummins. So a little background, it has a custom 25 gallon fabbed fuel tank for the air ride on the dually, just occasional driving, it has 12700 original miles on it. never driven in rain or snow. So....while the truck is running there is no leaking, BUT when I turn it off it leaks a few drops...SOMETIMES. Other times no leaking at all after shutting off. Ive tried to look through the bed and cab to see the top of the sending unit to see where, but cant see exactly. Some days it leaks a little, then other times nothing at all. Im thinking a small crack in a rubber tubing. I would assume if it were a metal line crack it would leak ALOT more often or all the time, even while running. It drives fine, no sputtering or anything. Very frustrating...I am pulling the tank to replace the sending unit as the fuel gauge stopped working, so I guess i will see then where this mystery leak is coming from. Just wanted to get a few other opinions if possible. Also, I MAY try to drop the tank without removing the bed. Is it even possible to unplug all the stuff on top of the sending unit and the filler tubes WITHOUT lifting the bed SOME? Seems like you couldnt but Ive read where some have done it.....

OP
OP
RAtmosphere

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
Also...when im done reinstalling, is there anything I need to do to maybe get any air that got in the fuel lines out? Priming the system or something?