Smarty Jr and diamond eye exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
So, I bought my 2010 cummins with a little over 50k on the clock in bone stock configuration. It ran and towed decently enough and the mileage was acceptable but after the addition of a quality steel flatbed it knocked a few digits off the mileage naturally. The pulling power was okay but to me it lacked some low end grunt that you expect from a cummins when you stab the throttle leaving a stop sign.

I've had my smarty jr for a little while now my exhaust from diamond eye showed up the other day. For 259 dollars through summit for a 4inch turbo back system with a muffler I was pretty happy with the overall quality. The transmission crossmember must be removed to get the down pipe off and the V-clamp can be a bit of a pain when you are installing the new down pipe but other than that it was headache free.

As far as how it runs it is amazing the difference. The smarty jr only goes to 100hp and I am running the towing tune which is 70hp iirc. With the extra horse and free flowing exhaust it snaps off the start and will bark the tires from 1st to 2nd with a heavy flatbed and not too much throttle input. I can say that it is now the diesel I think it should actually be! :leghump:

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Been running pretty steady with the truck for the last few weeks since installing the deletes. Mileage according to the computer has been running close to 18mpg @ 80mph through the hills with the cruise set and 19.5 running 70-75mph, not too bad considering that I have a flatbed and large bumper. The power is awesome with only 70hp added on the tune. Low end power is way better and the power up top for passing is nothing short of kick ass now. I truly feel like I own a real diesel now and the truck I initially liked is now a truck that I love.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That's awesome!! I plan on deleting mine as soon as I get some extra cash. I can't wait to do it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ncaabbref

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Longhorn All Options
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 sp Auto
Did a similar setup on a 2006 Truck I had with the 5.9. Smarty is the best tuner by far....but the stock tranny I had didn't like it too much after 50k miles.

Sounds like you got a nice rig there! Post vids/pics!

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
....but the stock tranny I had didn't like it too much after 50k miles.

Sorry for the hijack Oildfield... But I have to ask...

I have heard several folks make this statement and I am curious... Did the tuner do something to cause problems? Or just added power 'making' you push it harder??

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sorry for the hijack Oildfield... But I have to ask...

I have heard several folks make this statement and I am curious... Did the tuner do something to cause problems? Or just added power 'making' you push it harder??

I can answer that for you. The only problem the tuners caused on that era of transmission was adding more power to a transmission that was already inherently a little weak. Compound that with the fact that if you have the power you are gonna use it and soon enough you are paying for a built trans.

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
That's awesome!! I plan on deleting mine as soon as I get some extra cash. I can't wait to do it.

Get the programmer as soon as you can. The EPA has cracked down on them and the only ones available now are the ones currently on the shelf, no more delete capable tuners are being produced.

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Here she is in all her flatbed glory. I keep a Tonka dump truck on my trailer held down by a 2 inch ratchet strap when I'm towing empty, that gets lots of smiles. :rotflmao:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 95

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I can answer that for you. The only problem the tuners caused on that era of transmission was adding more power to a transmission that was already inherently a little weak. Compound that with the fact that if you have the power you are gonna use it and soon enough you are paying for a built trans.

Thanks, i have been reading that the trans in the current gen trucks are a big improvement over the previous gen. I don't plan on adding a to of power anyway.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Get the programmer as soon as you can. The EPA has cracked down on them and the only ones available now are the ones currently on the shelf, no more delete capable tuners are being produced.

Yeah, i am seeing that. Right now i am leaning toward the RaceME. I have been reading alot about them on another forum. They seem to still be easily available and at 1/3rd the cost of most of the other delete capable tuners. It may not have all the bells and whistles of a MM but i believe it will work for me. I am not looking for 800hp, just want the engine to last as long as possible.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Here she is in all her flatbed glory. I keep a Tonka dump truck on my trailer held down by a 2 inch ratchet strap when I'm towing empty, that gets lots of smiles. :rotflmao:

That is awesome!! truck looks really good with the flatbed installed too.

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks! I really like having the flatbed, its just so much handier for me with bikes, 4 wheelers, engine parts, and I don't have to worry about some ******* scratching my box all up reaching into it for something! My smarty Jr is the version with the ME software of course. Its pretty basic, I get 40, 70, and 100 horse and that's it. I bought the Jr so I wouldn't be tempted to abuse too much power, I know how I am LOL.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
yeah, it looks like the RaceME is made by some of the same guys that made the Smarty JR. I like the simplicity of it. hopefully it will keep me out of trouble.