Smell/Fumes In cab making me sick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lake48045

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any resolution on the smell? I have 2016 ram with Hemi and this started about 6 weeks ago and is intermittent. Dropped off at dealer this morning.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be an exhaust leak getting into the cab when you are pulling outside air. Many times since exhaust gases are mainly times odorless and will make you feel sleepy. There was an issue with the hoses giving off gases, but I thought that was taken care of a number of years ago.

Lake48045

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealer said they cant duplicate smell. Kind of a frustrating experience. When two people have to have the windows down in 3 degree weather something is wrong.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To me it sounds more like the cheap hose issue.

Either way if your kid got sick, there is a problem. This shouldnt be something you take "cant replicate" as an answer for. If you have to, drive with the windows closed until one of the service techs gets sick, then maybe they will care.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You should purchase a cheap carbon monoxide detector and keep it in the cab. If it goes off, you have an exhaust leak. They sell detectors specific for vehicle use.

All of the symptoms you are describing are indicative of carbon monoxide poisoning and it is deadly. Doubly so in an operating vehicle. It is the same product of combustion that kills folks in their homes often during winter months from improperly ventilated or malfunctioning gas appliances.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should purchase a cheap carbon monoxide detector and keep it in the cab. If it goes off, you have an exhaust leak. They sell detectors specific for vehicle use.

All of the symptoms you are describing are indicative of carbon monoxide poisoning and it is deadly. Doubly so in an operating vehicle. It is the same product of combustion that kills folks in their homes often during winter months from improperly ventilated or malfunctioning gas appliances.

Thats an excellent idea.

Not sure how close the OP is to a dealer, but keep the detector in the vehicle and if it happens to go off and you are near a dealer, take it in with the alarm blaring.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thats an excellent idea.

Not sure how close the OP is to a dealer, but keep the detector in the vehicle and if it happens to go off and you are near a dealer, take it in with the alarm blaring.
...and if they still don't believe you call the local news station (or Chrysler).

Hisgirl777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel Cummins Turbo
Has anyone figured this out? We also have a very strong chemical odor in the cabin. I rode in the truck today and I have a terrible headache. It almost smells like ammonia. Yes, we have the third brake light leaks but it doesn't smell like mold or musty.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
You need to take it to a dealer immediately! You’re risking your life and your kids lives, major exhaust leaks like that are extremely deadly. Might as well be a Holocaust 2.0 inside that truck

Sent from my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

GoldenOldie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
I bought a 2016 Ram 3500 megacab diesel 2 months ago. We have the same problem only in city traffic. Bought the CO monitor. It has not gone off. Called a dealer, service tech was not aware of any issues. I will follow this and check with other dealerships.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2016 Ram 3500 megacab diesel 2 months ago. We have the same problem only in city traffic. Bought the CO monitor. It has not gone off. Called a dealer, service tech was not aware of any issues. I will follow this and check with other dealerships.

Do you have a link for the CO monitor?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Please follow up on your resolution of this issue, as this has been an issue for some time .

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Please follow up on your resolution of this issue, as this has been an issue for some time .

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you've been experiencing lately. If you'd like additional support while working alongside your Ram dealer, please feel free to send our team a private message! Thanks.

Courtney
Ram Cares