Smell of hot antifreeze.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a 2013 ram 3500 crew cab 4X4 diesel Dually. I sometimes get a smell of antifreeze after driving. I have crawled all over and under to and can't spot a leak.
Anybody else have this problem, or is it a problem?
Leebo

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your not loosing anti-freeze then it's probably not a problem.
If you are losing anti-freeze and you can't see any crusty remains of dried coolant, you might want to have the EGR cooler checked.

OP
OP
L

Leebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Coolant

Thanks Crash

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Seems to be a common problem with these RAMs...Mine does it...It's wonderful sitting at a stoplight on a beautiful day with the windows down, and smelling hot antifreeze coming from your new truck...Just another issue on the biggest P.O.S. truck ive ever owned.....:puke:

crewchief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
FYI. Almost all radiators develop very small leaks on the upper plastic housing where coolant doesn't fill, but pressure increases. You would only smell it after driving to operating temperatures. We didn't start seeing the leak till the crap developed into a bigger one where bubbles could be seen.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jack P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Check the upper radiator hose at the plastic y, it may be cracked. Mine did. New hose about $150.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mine didnt have the smell, till they performed the water pump recall on my 3500 last year. After that I too, get that momentary wiff of hot antifreeze.

Had the same thing on my 18 dodge caravan recently, found it had a small pin hole on the radiator. Just big enough to cause staining on the fins. w/o the stains, I would have never seen it.