Smokey mountains campgrounds?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by jawzs2, Apr 2, 2016.

1. jawzs2

jawzs2 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Looking for some recommendations on campgrounds in the Smokey Mountains. It will just be my wife and I for two weeks. We like quiet campgrounds, larger sites so we don't feel right on top of the next camper, don't need a whole lot of campground activities, with trees and ideally near water. I've been looking and so far, Orchard Lake in Saluda, NC, Happy Holiday and the Cherokee KOA in Cherokee, NC seem to look OK. Any comments on these , loud trains or anything like that? Any other suggestions are welcome, doesn't have to be that exact area, it's just where I've been looking (wife wants to visit Biltmore). Thanks in advance.

2. daggertats

daggertats Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2011 ram reg cab 4x4
    Engine:
    theres a camp ground up the road from where that koa is in cherokee that was nice when some friends stayed there yrs ago. cant recall the name of it. passed the koa several times and it looked ok. theres another koa in a town called swanannowa nc (sp?) that is on a small lake. stayed there many yrs ago and back then it was decent . itll be closer to biltmore than cherokee or saluda .theres campgrounds in bent creek which is still in the asheville area. lotsa water there. lake and streams. i mtn bike there often. lotsa hiking trails as well. its close to the nc arboretum which is a decent place to see . hike to it though as they want too much money to park if you drive to it.

3. jawzs2

jawzs2 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Thanks - I'll dig around and see what else I can find

4. jawzs2

jawzs2 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Settled on Moonshine Creek in Sylva, near Balsam, seems to have some great reviews

5. daggertats

daggertats Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2011 ram reg cab 4x4
    Engine:
    cool.........hope you have a great time