Snowblowers (BIG ones)

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Yeret, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Well, I don't know where else to post this, but this is a matter of large importance to me.

My house is located out in the boonies connected to the main county road by a 2/3 mile hilly gravel lane. This sucker is a bear for most cars even in good weather, but in the the winter, the thing is the definition of "bastard." Every time a 3-5 inch snowstorm with wind comes around, this thing drifts multiple feet over making clearing it an uber challenge.

At the moment, we have a Ford F-350 with a V10 and a snowplow which performs excellent...until eventually the sidewalls of this lane are 10+ feet high and MOVING snow is impossible.

It has been decided that a snowblower is the only real way to go to keep our lane clear across the winter season. My question is what is the best "bang for the buck" snowblower one can buy to mount in front of a 1-ton truck? I know these things aren't cheap, but I know there are quite a few options out there for the application. I'd just like to know which ones are good ones for the money.

2. Stegs

Stegs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
    Engine:
    5.2L 318 C.I.
    honestly, im thinking you should look into a snowblower on a tractor

with drifts that high, you need some power to "throw the snow" and a pto driven blower is what you need

Id look into a used kubota (my personal favorite) with a blower

Nice part about that is, if you find one with a loader on the front...now you can move snow away from doors/mailboxs, etc)

I dont know what a truck mounted blower cost, but a used tractor and blower should be around 5-7k .....

Id suggest something with 25-30HP at the pto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzoBRq9yxw0

RonJon '06 likes this.
  3. Buddy

Buddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yeah, don't play around or do the "I just shoulda" scenario. I would look at a used tractor and blower for it. A kabota like mentioned, or like a John Deere or something. Something to really tackle the job everytime under all conditions.