Sound upgrade 8.4 non alpine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Working on upgrading my sound 15 big horn CC. So far I have installed an Alpine Mono block and a 10 p2 sub under the rear seat.

I am looking for door speakers and dash...but I really dont want to amp them...would better door and dash speakers be worth upgrading without putting more power to them?

So far I'm looking at the DS kickers ...but I'd like to get some input from real experience on this line or suggestions of other good sounding door and dash speakers

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also..im wondering if anyone could give me links or part numbers for the jumpers that allow me to connect to factory wires in the doors and dash so I don't have to cut wires.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you order feom crutchfield, they supply the wiring plug adapters. I am installing rockford T-2652-S 6.5 components in my doors this weekend. They go for around $250/set. But they will need to be amplified. I had the kicker components and 6.5" coaxials in my wrangler. I could hardly tell the difference feom stock.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truthfully you won’t get much without adding an amp. That said, what level of sound are you looking for? Home theater volume and quality or something just a little better than stock? Also, what kind of budget do you have?

Edit: What type of music do you listen to?

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mostly rock and harder rock....some country....I want good sound first ...but would like it to get loud once in a while. ..maybe under 4 or 500

Thomas Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put up c2 350 with 600 hz bass blockers in the dash, a lot cleaner sound. Also put jl c2 650x in the front doors with 1/4" spacers, I think it cleaned up the mids quite a bit.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mostly rock and harder rock....some country....I want good sound first ...but would like it to get loud once in a while. ..maybe under 4 or 500

My listening habits are pretty similar (switch Country for Fusion unless I’m on a date) and I’ve found over the years that a 3 way component set does the best with hard rock and brings out more in the other genres as well. The dedicated midrange is right in the sweet spot for male vocals and crunchy guitars. I’ve had thee way components in every system I’ve built since the early 90s. However, I’m a Buy Once, Cry Once person who is into car audio so I tend to spend stupid amounts on my systems.

Luckily our trucks are ideally suited for components by putting the midranges in the factory dash position and tweeters in the sail panels. The downside is that a quality 3 way can eat up your whole budget and then some. In the Ram, a 3”-3.5” midrange will drop right into the dash. You can get a 4” in there (I have the Esotar 430) with some work or a good installer.

In cruising Woofers Etc. and Crutchfield, I saw a JL set with a 3” mid for a decent price. My old system using the Hertz Hi-Energy 3 way sounded great but you’re looking at $700+ for those online (Side Note: It’s kind of sad that I have them just sitting in the garage after upgrading.). My current system will move the hair on your arms while cranking some Tool and sound absolutely perfect doing it.

If you’re still reading after all that, I’d find a local shop that carries brands like Dynaudio, Sinfoni and Zapco (higher end) and see what else they may have that’s in your budget. Shops that carry those brands are more likely to be reputable and do good work.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truthfully you won’t get much without adding an amp. That said, what level of sound are you looking for? Home theater volume and quality or something just a little better than stock? Also, what kind of budget do you have?

Edit: What type of music do you listen to?

sorry but that's just not true. I upgraded all my speakers to Kicker CS 6.5" front, 6x9 rear, 3.5" dash and it made a HUGE difference in sound!!! I didn't change anything else...no amps...stock head unit and believe me it was worth every penny

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure many of you have seen my recent posts asking tons of questions about speakers and subs...and I appreciate all the help and information.

I thought I'd give you all my initial impressions and feelings on the upgrades I've done so far. I installed Kicker CS 3.5" in dash, 6.5" 2 way in the doors, and 6x9 3 way in the rear doors. I was replacing the basic stock speakers (non alpine) in my 2010 Ram Sport and I have to say WOW!!!

The stock speakers were unbelievably cheap crappy junk to put it mildly. I have heard the Alpine systems and they are much much better, however, for the price the dealers charge I'm not sure I'd go that way rather than just doing aftermarket but that's just me.

so...here goes!!!

The biggest difference I noticed right away was the 3.5" 2 way speakers in the dash. To be honest I wasn't even aware I had speakers in the dash prior to this (I thought they were just vents lol) because I'd NEVER heard them before. Well...I put in the Kicker 43CSC354 and holy hell they were in your face and alive! I will say I had to turn the treble and midrange down to about 4 on the stock MyGig deck as they were way too bright...but at this level they sound great, clean, crisp, detailed and the highs are amazing and alive!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC354/Kicker-43CSC354.html

g206CSC354-F.jpg

Now on to the front doors. I really thought I'd be able to fit 6x9 in the front doors....I mean why not they fit in the back right? Well there is a steel bar in the front door that prohibits a plug and play 6x9 solution. That being said I'm sure with a small shim you could probably fit them. That being said, I went with the 6.5" 2 way Kicker 43CSC654 as suggested by Crutchfield and I am very pleased. Using the provided 6x9 plate adapter it was an easy installation and they sound great!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC654/Kicker-43CSC654.html
g206CSC654-F.jpg

In the rear doors I replaced the stock 6x9 with Kicker 43CSC6934 and adjusted a bit more of the sound to the rear of the truck take a bit of the load off the 6.5" and round out the sound. Well these speakers give a lot more bass than I would have expected and sound amazing. I do plan to add my 2 subs to the truck...but that will come later/soon.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC6934/Kicker-43CSC6934.html

g206CSC6934-F.jpg

In summary I expected better sound but quite honestly I really didnt' expect the level of clarity, life, detail, and truck filling sound experience I'm having now compared to the stock speakers. I am still using the stock MyGig 20gig hdd head unit and it powers these speakers easily. The best part was the included free plug adapters from Crutchfield. This made the installation so easy as I never had to cut a single wire. It was truly plug and play!!!

If you have a base stereo in your truck, you OWE it to yourself to spend the $156.00 USD I did and replace all 6 speakers. You will not believe what you've been missing. I honestly can not say enough good things about the quality of these Kicker speakers, the service I received from Crutchfield, and the satisfaction I now have with a stereo that sounds IMHO better than my buddy's Ram 2500 Limited with the Alpine system in it (minus the bass which is coming very soon) for so much less money! :)

I guess that's it for now...i'll report back once I get my dual 10" subs installed and running...but I expect to have a perma-grin on my face even more than I do now. Thanks for reading!!!

M4-AR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just upgraded my speakers last week. (‘18 CC 8.4 non alpine)

Kicker CS 3.5 2way, CS 6x9 3 ways in all 4 doors. I used a 1/4” spacer in the fronts off amazon, everything else was from crutchfield ($256 iirc)

It was a big improvement, and it’s worth every penny. I did the passenger side first then messed with the balance to see the before and after. Big difference.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just upgraded my speakers last week. (‘18 CC 8.4 non alpine)

Kicker CS 3.5 2way, CS 6x9 3 ways in all 4 doors. I used a 1/4” spacer in the fronts off amazon, everything else was from crutchfield ($256 iirc)

It was a big improvement, and it’s worth every penny. I did the passenger side first then messed with the balance to see the before and after. Big difference.

I wish I had done the 6x9 in the front doors too. I didn't know there was a spacer available. I'm surprised that crutchfield didn't offer that spacer quite honestly. I'm happy with the 6.5" in the front...but hey bigger speakers would have been better IMHO

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Now when the Kicker KEY amp comes out, you guys can easily even add more power and a DSP to tune it for around $200. :D

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I had done the 6x9 in the front doors too. I didn't know there was a spacer available. I'm surprised that crutchfield didn't offer that spacer quite honestly. I'm happy with the 6.5" in the front...but hey bigger speakers would have been better IMHO

Save your money for a set of 6.5" rockford components. You will be blown away.

IMG_2002.PNG

IMG_2031.JPG

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those Rockford Fosgate Compenents better be absolutely amazing and blow my socks off for that price. My whole 6 speaker Kicker CS set up cost me less ($156.00) than that one pair of RF's. yikes

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I used the Infinities and am really pleased with the result

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those Rockford Fosgate Compenents better be absolutely amazing and blow my socks off for that price. My whole 6 speaker Kicker CS set up cost me less ($156.00) than that one pair of RF's. yikes

There are sets of speakers that cost $13,000. You should find a local SQ comp when you have some free time and see what a good sounding car can sound like.