Sources for finding and buying parts. Aftermarket or oem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcbthaname

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
?
Just bought a 99 1500 v8, and it needs work. First truck I've ever owned. I want to know if I should stick with oem, or if aftermarket agrees with this truck and good places to find parts. For starters, I need a new radiator, possibly various transmission gaskets, and I believe the plenum gasket. Thoughts/Advice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Rockauto is one of the places with the best prices if you're willing to wait on shipping. They often send out discount codes through email too

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Autoanything is also great if they have the parts you are looking for

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Autoanything is decent for a few exterior things like window visors and grille guards. Nearly everything else can be had cheaper elsewhere

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Sometimes but they price match up to a year after purchase so if I ever see somebody having a huge sale on something I already bought from autoanything I call them up and they credit me back the difference. Don't know any other site that does that.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I use parts train for parts I'm willing to wait for. Autozone or Oreilly or another chain store for anything I need now.

Most places will pricematch these days, including the local stores, however the local stores will only match with other local stores, no online providers. (some you can convince but it wont last long, once a manager catches on)

ouch1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
OEM stuff is hard to find for these trucks because Dodge doesn't sell much for them anymore. That being said, you can find parts from the original manufacturer for some things since most of the smaller drivetrain parts and electronics are not made by Dodge. For the most part, if you use names you recognize for parts and don't just buy the cheapest things you can find, you'll be good.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've used Rockauto numerous times and they are great. Parts always arrive on time and you can pick from budget to top of the line parts.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I use parts train for parts I'm willing to wait for. Autozone or Oreilly or another chain store for anything I need now.

Most places will pricematch these days, including the local stores, however the local stores will only match with other local stores, no online providers. (some you can convince but it wont last long, once a manager catches on)

Yup.. I tend to stick to autozone for our electronic stuff that I need right now. They use the exact same part number as the manufacturer that made the product you're buying. Usually it's a Wells product rebranded as a Duralast.

Amazon is also a good option if you have Prime. I use Rockauto to look up the part I need and cross reference the part number on Amazon.

OEM stuff is hard to find for these trucks because Dodge doesn't sell much for them anymore. That being said, you can find parts from the original manufacturer for some things since most of the smaller drivetrain parts and electronics are not made by Dodge. For the most part, if you use names you recognize for parts and don't just buy the cheapest things you can find, you'll be good.

Most of the OEM Mopar stuff we can get for these trucks are parts that work on the newer models. If they're exclusive to pre-98 they don't sell them. Like the TPS.. Dodge doesn't make a 96 Mopar TPS anymore and you can't get them... but you can get a 98 model which has different pins.