Spare key was stolen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well. About a month ago my house was broken into and robbed. I had many things stolen, but the reason for my post is that the spare key to my truck was one of the things stolen. I live in a town with only 1200 people. So the folks who stole it, know what they have a key to. I have been keeping it locked in the garage since. Insurance won't pay to get the truck re-keyed. My thought is that I want to put a ignition or fuel cutoff switch in the cab. Just a simple toggle in an out of the way location. What would be the easiest way to do this. Any help would be great.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could cut an ignition wire and put a toggle switch on it, and just every time you get out remember to flip your secret swtich.

You could also put a switch on the starter wire. Im using bull dog security to get a wiring diagram for your 2003 dodge ram.

STARTER YELLOW (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Pull off the steering column plastic by taking the screws out first with a screwdriver, then dismount the column and find yourself a switch and solder it inline with the wire.

Last edited:

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ive been thinking of the same mod. would think all you need it a switch and to find out which wires go to your ignition and thats it.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is what I was thinking. I replaced the engine in her last month and was thinking I could just cut the wires going to the starter. Splice into them, heat shrink it up all pretty and run a toggle into the cab. Would give me my secret switch and hopefully make my truck a lot harder to steal.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
That is what I was thinking. I replaced the engine in her last month and was thinking I could just cut the wires going to the starter. Splice into them, heat shrink it up all pretty and run a toggle into the cab. Would give me my secret switch and hopefully make my truck a lot harder to steal.

Exactly, make some sort of "custom aftermarket" switch and no one will figure it out.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know what would be easier, or better, to put the switch on. The starter, fuel pump, or something I hadn't thought of?

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you re-read what I posted, it contains the exact wire inside the cab by the steering wheel that you would need to cut and put a switch on.

You put it on the fuel pump and they may get away with your truck since its such a small town, seeing as there would be a little gas left in the truck

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
My girlfriends sister had a "plug" of sorts under her dash. If she pulls out the "plug" the truck is basically dead. And if someone does find it there's not much they can do. Considering shell have it with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could use the SRT ram push button start and mount it somewhere hidden. You would put the key in the ignition then hit the button to start the truck. I had one on my 05 and it worked great. I still have the push button and wouldn't mind parting with it. Let me know if you are interested and we can work out a deal.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To tell you the truth. The reason I thought about the fuel pump is that they would be able to start it and get about a block. Which means they would be charged with Motor Vehicle Theft. Instead of Attempted. A much bigger charge with much more prison time. I was in law enforcement for 10 years.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does it have the gray immobilizer key? if so you can get another key and have both reprogrammed so the one that was stolen wont work as far as driving it off. but it will be a problem fir keeping them from getting into the truck and stealing things in the truck...

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. Just two black keys. I've already been to the dealership. Nothing they can do but re-key the truck. To much $$$.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live and work in a town with 1200 people. I have known most of them for over 30 years. Seems like a lot of money to spend when I can put in my "secret switch" and keep it from starting. I know who robbed my house and have no doubt they would drive my truck through town beeping like crazy knowing they have at least 15 minutes before a county deputy gets into town. Kill switch just solves the problem for little or no money.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Really sorry about this whole ordeal, let me know what you decided to do because I have a couple of friends who have got their trucks stolen and a guy at,y work just got his custom 84 Chevy 1500 which he dropped 25k and got stolen about a month ago,I would really like to do something like a hidden switch so a write up would be awesome!:D

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is an awful thing to have stolen. What you need a switch to is a cattle prod mounted it in the cushion of your seat that way if that switch is on as soon as the sh**head that stole your key will sit down he will wish he never got in your truck in the first place! all jokes aside if you do go about throwing a switch in there try and do a write up i am interested in this as well!!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Wow man that sucks.

in my old 76'chevy I had installed some power windows and in the window switch I put the "kill" switch. Had to push the switch forward (like you would to roll it up) before the truck would start. Now with mine, since it was a reg cab, I installed a quad switch setup. So one was the kill switch two were wondows and the last was going to be for something fun, just never got around to the fun mod. Thinking of doing the same with my truck now though.

You can get creative with it too, seen some people put them in the turn signal, so you would have to have the left or right signal activated before the truck would turn over. Mine, like the turn signal ones were always active as soon as the key was turned off.

Last edited:

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow man that sucks.

in my old 76'chevy I had installed some power windows and in the window switch I put the "kill" switch. Had to push the switch forward (like you would to roll it up) before the truck would start. Now with mine, since it was a reg cab, I installed a quad switch setup. So one was the kill switch two were wondows and the last was going to be for something fun, just never got around to the fun mod. Thinking of doing the same with my truck now though.

You can get creative with it too, seen some people put them in the turn signal, so you would have to have the left or right signal activated before the truck would turn over. Mine, like the turn signal ones were always active as soon as the key was turned off.
Can you go into detail about this?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Could just do a battery cut off and have it under the dash or tucked away somewhere.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had a fuel cut off switch on my old chevy too, it would crank and crank but would never start, but it was carburated.