Spark Plug Change DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don't remember the last time they were changed on my truck. If its been a long time, should I be worried about them breaking off or anything, since they're probably reallly old.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They will probably come out okay the gap will be off more noticeably however.

$miley

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks to this write up and helpful info from Matt from Moe's. I will be knocking this infamous Hemi 16 plug change out this week. Bought the anti-seize just in case, its only $3. Another thing I got was the Gear Wrench 5/8" x 6" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket from Advance Auto. The extention is permanent, so I wont run into the problem of the socket getting stuck in the head. And instead of the death grip rubber boot its magnetic.

spin_prod_222883201.jpg

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There are many times you have to put the socket then the extensions in one by one so I am not sure if you will like that setup honestly.

$miley

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There are many times you have to put the socket then the extensions in one by one so I am not sure if you will like that setup honestly.

$miley

Thanks for the heads up

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone thought about using dielectric grease around the top where the plug wire or coil pack attaches to the plug? When I had my 06 Charger with 5.7 Hemi it was recommended to do that, I haven't read anyone doing that, I would think it would be the same for both Hemi's.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't think it would hurt but there is already some in the boots so be careful like with anti seize don't use too much.

$miley

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used anti seize on the charger and will defiantly on my ram, but yes not to much.

Sent from my iPhone

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just did the install along with my headers. Removed the wheel wells and worked from both the well and the top. Had a friend of mine give me a hand. Took about 5.5 hrs total to do everything. But that included beer breaks and some choice words for thee driver side header. All in all it went smooth. I used dielectric grease on the boots. And anti seize on the threads.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also I used that socket for EVERY plug. If I didn't do the job, I would've returned it in a heartbeat. But instead its in my tool box! Worked like a charm!!!

Sprayed93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm gonna pick up my spark plaugs next weekend. A friend of mine say that he had a problem with the extention tubes that go down to the spark plugs and needed a special tool to remove them. Has anyone eles had this issue?

If not I'm going to do it myself....Thanks

Sprayed93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, I also have 139,000 on the clock and don't think the previous owners ever changed them.

GeneralJacksonRam03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
It is basically the same procedure for the 4.7? I have just recently decided to start doing things on my own as I got sick of giving my hard earned money to the idiots at the dealership.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm gonna pick up my spark plaugs next weekend. A friend of mine say that he had a problem with the extention tubes that go down to the spark plugs and needed a special tool to remove them. Has anyone eles had this issue?

If not I'm going to do it myself....Thanks

It is basically the same procedure for the 4.7? I have just recently decided to start doing things on my own as I got sick of giving my hard earned money to the idiots at the dealership.

you don't need a special tool, just a couple different sized extensions. short, med, long. MAYBE a universal joint.

Its basically the same for a 4.7, or any vehicle for that matter. The 4.7 should be easier though, I believe it only has 8 plugs.

GeneralJacksonRam03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Yeah I was farting around under the hood the other day and its 8. I just need to find the time to do it.

crim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am getting the error code P0300, so I am planning to change out all 16 plugs, plus I have an extra coil in case i find a reason to use it. I also have a garage on-post (US Military) that i am using to do a full professional diagnostic. I am a relatively new Ram owner, and am dying to get under the hood and work on it myself. This thread helped alot, and I feel extremely confident in doing this. But my question is: with the error code i have, what else should i be doing? And since I am in Hawaii, and parts are really not that available, i dont want to damage my only working vehicle yet.

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am getting the error code P0300, so I am planning to change out all 16 plugs, plus I have an extra coil in case i find a reason to use it. I also have a garage on-post (US Military) that i am using to do a full professional diagnostic. I am a relatively new Ram owner, and am dying to get under the hood and work on it myself. This thread helped alot, and I feel extremely confident in doing this. But my question is: with the error code i have, what else should i be doing? And since I am in Hawaii, and parts are really not that available, i dont want to damage my only working vehicle yet.

Make sure you take a blow gun and blow all the dirt out before you remove the spark plugs. If you're having trouble accessing the coils, you can remove the fender liners to get better access.

Thundergun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. Great write up and info!

Question - the passenger side cylinder bank, very last cylinder closest to the firewall - it sure looks like those 2 heater hoses will be impossible to clear!! Ah! They sit about an inch or so above the coil pack. And they are held there by a funny looking bracket that doesn't look removable.

Did no one have trouble w this?!

Also there is a 1.5" diam harness over this coil pack too. Wtf?

I have an 07 quad cab 1500 hemi. 45K.

Thanks guys.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Maybe a picture would help understand what is in the way. My truck has been changed over the years I don't remember what was originally in that area that would be a problem.

Thundergun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello - Here are a few images. the image with the wrench in it is from the original post. doesnt' look like he had to move the 2 heater hoses (i assume thats what they are), but the clearance looks pretty tight, especially considering the boots are ~4" long - how did he clear it?

and i don't see the 1.5" harness in his way.

hopefully you can see from my pics what is going on.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 62