Spark Plug Change DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
the original plugs were champion copper - I replace with the same, no doubt I will always use champion now

broad at advanced said her computer said the oem plug called for platinum , :crazy:, I told her copper werks best!:)....cheapest plug on the shelf btw.:word:

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I went back with the original Champion Copper Plus spark plugs, since the originals had 60K miles on them, with only a .5 gap change. I could have re-gaped the spark plugs, and ran them another 30K miles. I installed new Champion Copper Plus 570's, gapped at .45, and I will check them in another 30K miles.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Thought I read the change was 15k........but not needed for the most part.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
came here too find the correct gap.......045.
also a piece of garden hose will work wonders in getting the spark plugs out of the hole, and to reinsert as well, btw.
good right up......haven't heard from the op in quite some time:favorites13:

I'm still alive Rocket! Heading back to the Good ol' U, S of A a little later this year. I have been super busy with life, work, the bike.... I must admit though... I feel bad for not keeping in touch with you guys for so long.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
John,
Good to hear your tour is ending. I remember clearly some of the posts when you were going over. I'm sure there is some sadness in leaving, but home is home. Do they still call the car clubs "Attack Teams"? If I remember right the Yokohama club was Attack Team 7. Great fun....

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't seen any Attack teams, but there are still TONS of "teams" out here. Primarily the bosozokus (both car and bike now). If only all Americans knew how ridiculous those kids are. Literally the absolute ugliest, most annoying things on wheels in the world.

Seriously people, if you have some time do a quick google search for "bosozoku" and see what I'm talking about.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I haven't seen any Attack teams, but there are still TONS of "teams" out here. Primarily the bosozokus (both car and bike now). If only all Americans knew how ridiculous those kids are. Literally the absolute ugliest, most annoying things on wheels in the world.

Seriously people, if you have some time do a quick google search for "bosozoku" and see what I'm talking about.

It might of been a mainland thing. They would have the Attack Team in big letters across the rear window and a number below it designating which team. We'd gather in the industrial areas at night and race around the light poles in the vacate parking lots. This was before drifting was done...

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Looks like the mod bug has taken hold of the van.........Guess a 4th gen won't be far off. when you get here.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
jeez, I haven't been here in so long! That van got junked FOREVER ago. My new ride is a Mitsubishi Pajero Mini. 660cc of raw, unadulterated power!

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
ha ha definately should update the sig pix....lol. I'm happy all is well for you Odj. I think about your tranny thread every time I shift into drive it seems,lol.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think I should change them soon. Lol

Attachments

• 20140901_150134.jpg
    20140901_150134.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Fakum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, what Ive picked up so far through this thread is the following:
Use the OEM plugs, so whatever is in there now, stay with it. Champion stay with Champion, NGK, stay with NGK.

If champion, its ok to put some anti-seize on the threads, if NGK, they are coated to prevent this, so dont put any on as it could cause torque issue.

Then I seen someone state dont put anti-seize on the threads, put it on the sleeve only? What sleeve I ask? for the boot?

Once I get past that part, would it be a bad idea once I break the plugs loose to use an air ratchet to back them all the way out and to use it to run the plug back in once I started threading it by hand and stop before it hits?

Torque, does anyone really use a torque wrench in some of these near impossible spots to use it?

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi just hitting 30K, so 1st round for me! The manual stated the plug was LL something, I dont remember, but I think that was an NGK plug #, I will pull one out to check before I go buy 16 of the wrong ones.

Thanks for any more advice.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I use anti-seize on my plugs (NGK), original were Champions. I would never use air tools on spark plugs period. I hand tighten them then give them a final little tug by hand. As you have stated using a torque wrench isn't really feasible. I put a little silicone grease on the boots. I've changed plugs numerous times without issue using a 3/8 ratchet and a single spark plug socket with a short swivel.

opy6.jpg

Fakum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I believe that was your post I seen that you bought that socket with the extension built in at Advanced auto, I did write that part # down and plan on buying it,,

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thanks, I believe that was your post I seen that you bought that socket with the extension built in at Advanced auto, I did write that part # down and plan on buying it,,

Yea when I find something that works I push it along.

jacobsjl88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced all 16 this past Sunday. Didn't take me long, maybe 2 hrs at most. Many people have said the driver side is difficult, but it's not really. Again just make sure you drop each thing one at a time into it. I used a very short wobble and a 3" extension all 3/8 drive

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7

uh, mebbe ,uh, can we see that part number again?:word: