Speaker Upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
So I am thinking about upgrading my OEM speakers in my front and rear doors since there is a big sale going on at Crutchfield’s website. Would it be as simple as plugging the new speakers in place of the old speakers or would I need a specific harness or another type of wiring to make it work? Also, does anyone have recommendations on speakers in $40-$60 range? I have a 2016 1500 if that changes anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Whatever you get from cruthfield will come with harness adapters. Id lean towards jbl, infinity or kicker. Keep in mind the stock system puts out maybe 15 watts so they may sound bad if you try to push them too hard. I would keep the rear stock and put my money in the front stage. Ideally 6.5 components putting the tweet in the dash speaker hole or on the sail panel by the mirrors. But that's just me.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lots of good reading here on speaker choices and options. I replaced my fronts and dash with OEM Kicker and now I'm replacing those with Kicker 690-3's in all 4 doors and 3-1/2's in the dash.

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I am thinking about upgrading my OEM speakers in my front and rear doors since there is a big sale going on at Crutchfield’s website. Would it be as simple as plugging the new speakers in place of the old speakers or would I need a specific harness or another type of wiring to make it work? Also, does anyone have recommendations on speakers in $40-$60 range? I have a 2016 1500 if that changes anything

If I were to do it all again, I would get the Kicker speaker upgrade which includes the front doors and dash speakers, and then don't look back. If you start to look at all of the options, they are all a PITA to install and sound like crap unless you buy all of the components needed to get a full signal to the fronts. I have a 2016 1500 and there is NO full range signal going to the front doors. I don't care what all the other posts say, my front doors are not full range. Any decent components you put in there will sound like absolute crap. I had to buy a LOC which sums the channels, an amp, and fabricate speaker adapters just to get decent sound. I mean just decent-tolerable maybe.
Save up a few more bucks and get the Kicker upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-Dodge...-2-fkmr0&keywords=ram+1500+kicker+speaker#Ask

Last edited:
OP
OP
iHemiMan

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Update: I ended up going with the $50 pair of Pioneers for the front and rear doors and the $25 Kicker pair for the dash corners. At least it will be better than stock. My trucks stock speakers have always sounded pretty good for stock to me but I just wanted to increase the clarity. Thanks guys

OP
OP
iHemiMan

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
If I were to do it all again, I would get the Kicker speaker upgrade which includes the front doors and dash speakers, and then don't look back. If you start to look at all of the options, they are all a PITA to install and sound like crap unless you buy all of the components needed to get a full signal to the fronts. I have a 2016 1500 and there is NO full range signal going to the front doors. I don't care what all the other posts say, my front doors are not full range. Any decent components you put in there will sound like absolute crap. I had to buy a LOC which sums the channels, an amp, and fabricate speaker adapters just to get decent sound. I mean just decent-tolerable maybe.
Save up a few more bucks and get the Kicker upgrade.

Can you link me to the kicker speaker upgrade for future reference?

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can you link me to the kicker speaker upgrade for future reference?

Got it.
These will require a spacer to fit the front doors, but the factory speakers have a plastic spacer you can take out and use (it's glued on, but comes off easy)

OP
OP
iHemiMan

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Got it.

These will require a spacer to fit the front doors, but the factory speakers have a plastic spacer you can take out and use (it's glued on, but comes off easy)

When I hear the term spacer for these speakers is it the o ring shaped rubber piece that goes in between the gap that is caused by the power window mechanism? BTW: I just saw the link in your previous post. My b

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no offense OP but like others said you basically bought a factory replacement speakers.

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I hear the term spacer for these speakers is it the o ring shaped rubber piece that goes in between the gap that is caused by the power window mechanism? BTW: I just saw the link in your previous post. My b

Here is the plastic spacer I took off the rim of the factory speakers. It gives about a quarter inch of room for the speaker magnet98893a73c8626dff5e8b68540132db1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Here is the plastic spacer I took off the rim of the factory speakers. It gives about a quarter inch of room for the speaker magnet98893a73c8626dff5e8b68540132db1d.jpg

You should take that spacer and use it as a template to make your own adapter. The front of the speaker should be isolated from the rear of the speaker

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You should take that spacer and use it as a template to make your own adapter. The front of the speaker should be isolated from the rear of the speaker

Oh yeah, don't use this for a 6.5" speaker. It should work for the 6x9

OP
OP
iHemiMan

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I see. Thanks for the help gentlemen

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure about the spacers from the OE speakers you had but the ones out of mine are just a bit short of a half inch thick? Also, they wouldn't seat flush on the Kicker 6x9's. Simpler to just get them from Amazon or EBay. I found half inch ones for $12 a pair w/free shipping.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Not sure if I missed it, but what system do you have? Base or alpine system, makes difference on what speakers you get. Think base is 4ohm, alpine is 2ohm, adding the jbls or infinity 2ohm sound great in the alpine system, crutchfields sends adaptor for free too, so no cutting. Dash and rear doors on Alpine makes huge difference. Front doors I would leave alone on alpine system.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
crutchfields sends adaptor for free too

Shop around. Just because it's free doesn't necessarily make it cheaper then buying the wiring harness and speaker adapters. I'm looking at replacing my 6 speakers with Jl Audio and buying everything separate at Amazon is 25% cheaper then Crutchfield.

JL Audio C2-525X
Crutchfield - $179.99
Amazon (fulfillment by Amazon) which gives you all Amazon perks - $121.93 + speaker adapter $7.76 + wire harness $5.50 = $135.19

Last edited:

blairwilder97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of good reading here on speaker choices and options. I replaced my fronts and dash with OEM Kicker and now I'm replacing those with Kicker 690-3's in all 4 doors and 3-1/2's in the dash.

The kicker replacements you put in first, are those the ones that are sold specifically for dodge?? I’ve been looking at those and want to make sure they are a good product before buying them

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The kicker replacements you put in first, are those the ones that are sold specifically for dodge?? I’ve been looking at those and want to make sure they are a good product before buying them

They are sold as Mopar Parts, I think they are 77kick41 or something like that? They are an upgrade and do make better sound with the non Alpine systems, enough make the doors rattle, a lot cleaner highs but not really much usable bass. The 3.5" speakers can easily over power the 6x9's. I'll probably put them in my work truck. The new Kicker 690/3's I just put in absolutely blow them away hands down. I'm trying them with 3.5's disconnected for a few days to see what I like better. Most likely will be adding an amp to clean the system up some more.

My answer is yes they are good but like most things, it Ishtar lead you down the rabbit hole trying to get better sound? Good luck.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For $40-60 don’t bother. You won’t find anything that sounds better than stock for that price
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not so fast. I just upgraded the stock door speakers to Rockford Fosgate R169X3 Prime 6 x 9 Inch. Street price is about $45 a pair. They are slightly wider than the stock 6x9 speakers so I would recommend a Metra 6x9 adapters. Also get the Metra OEM connector adapters.
These are running of the stock low end head unit. The different sound is breath taking.
Solid bass, clean highs.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_67796_Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R169X3.html

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-R169X3-Full-Range-Coaxial/dp/B00BF6HVG4