Speaker Upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blairwilder97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not so fast. I just upgraded the stock door speakers to Rockford Fosgate R169X3 Prime 6 x 9 Inch. Street price is about $45 a pair. They are slightly wider than the stock 6x9 speakers so I would recommend a Metra 6x9 adapters. Also get the Metra OEM connector adapters.

These are running of the stock low end head unit. The different sound is breath taking.

Solid bass, clean highs.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_67796_Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R169X3.html

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-R169X3-Full-Range-Coaxial/dp/B00BF6HVG4

Where did you order the metra adapters from?? And when you upgraded to the Rockford fosgate speakers, you just replaced stock with aftermarket?? No amp or any other additions?? Looking to order something ASAP! And you used these same speakers for front and back 6x9s??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Where did you order the metra adapters from?? And when you upgraded to the Rockford fosgate speakers, you just replaced stock with aftermarket?? No amp or any other additions?? Looking to order something ASAP! And you used these same speakers for front and back 6x9s??

I got them from Amazon and installed them a couple months ago. I got 2 pair, for front and back doors, both are 6x9s. A big plus with these is mounting depth isn't an issue. Some aftermarket speaker will hit the window track in the front doors; these will not. The part number for the Metra speaker terminal adapters is 72-6514. Think they were about $12 bux each. They are paired so you will need 2 if you are replacing all 4 speakers. The connector adapters will keep you from wiring a speaker out of phase, which is an easy mistake to make. Metra also make a 6x9 adapter but I didn't have those. The difference in width is small. You can pretty easily trim the baffle opening the speaker bolts into (its plastic) or what I did was use some foam backed 1/2" tape to seal the speaker. I didn't want to cut on the truck.
All the rest of the system stock low end. No amp, etc.

I was planning on a upgrade to a 5 channel amp plus a 10" sub but my laptop recently died on me and isn't fixable. That is a must for field work. So my car audio upgrade got bumped off the Christmas list to replace the laptop. :(

If you go this route let us know how you like the upgrade in sound.

Last edited:

blairwilder97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got them from Amazon and installed them a couple months ago. I got 2 pair, for front and back doors, both are 6x9s. A big plus with these is mounting depth isn't an issue. Some aftermarket speaker will hit the window track in the front doors; these will not. The part number for the Metra speaker terminal adapters is 72-6514. Think they were about $12 bux each. They are paired so you will need 2 if you are replacing all 4 speakers. The connector adapters will keep you from wiring a speaker out of phase, which is an easy mistake to make. Metra also make a 6x9 adapter but I didn't have those. The difference in width is small. You can pretty easily trim the baffle opening the speaker bolts into (its plastic) or what I did was use some foam backed 1/2" tape to seal the speaker. I didn't want to cut on the truck.
All the rest of the system stock low end. No amp, etc.

I was planning on a upgrade to a 5 channel amp plus a 10" sub but my laptop recently died on me and isn't fixable. That is a must for field work. So my car audio upgrade got bumped off the Christmas list to replace the laptop. :(

If you go this route let us know how you like the upgrade in sound.

Okay that information helped out a lot. More than likely going to order both sets this week and also get the adapters that you gave me the part number for. My only confusion is that every time i look on amazon or any other website they say the 6x9s won’t fit my truck. It’s a 2011 ram Laramie with the alpine system. I’m assuming they will fit with the adapters, and wire harnesses??

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay that information helped out a lot. More than likely going to order both sets this week and also get the adapters that you gave me the part number for. My only confusion is that every time i look on amazon or any other website they say the 6x9s won’t fit my truck. It’s a 2011 ram Laramie with the alpine system. I’m assuming they will fit with the adapters, and wire harnesses??

You can't trust those parts choosers built into web sites. They are usually wrong unless the parts is 100% specific for your particular vehicle. A 6x9 speaker is universal. The speaker connectors will work fine. Its an adapter for Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep. Most all use the same connector.

blairwilder97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay awesome. Thanks again for the help and suggestions. I’ll definitely keep you updated once I get the speakers upgraded. I’m just gonna do the 6x9s for now and then do the dash speakers later on!