Speedometer trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lwood0305

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L
I have a 1987 dodge ram w150. Last weekend on my way deer hunting the speedometer stopped working and just dropped to 0. Did some looking and found that where the speedometer cable goes into the transmission is the problem. The cable itself is fine I can spin it and the speedometer moves. Took the cable off and took the piece (sorry don't know the terminology) out of the transmission that the cable connects too and found that the plastic gear seemed to be stripped and melted together and ground down. I looked inside the transmission and inside there is a purple plastic piece that the other plastic piece connects too looks to be ground down as well.

My question is how hard is it to replace both the plastic peices? The one inside the transmission do I have to take the transmission out to do it?

Also what are the part numbers (my Hynes book does not give me anything) and where can I get them? I tried napa but the guy at the counter could not help me.

Please help.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's odd that no one has responded to you question yet. Mine is a 1991 so has the speed sensor in the trans not a traditional cable or I could probably tell you. Good luck on getting an answer but I would thing you can change both gears easily. Try searching google for the parts and the seller might have electronic instructions available.

Weasle Min

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.9
i had the same issue, same year and model too, i never found the 29 tooth gear and ended up using a 30 from a chevy, it works but my speedo is off about 3 miles under