Spoon bars clunking

Discussion in 'Lowered' started by big john 02, May 26, 2016.

1. Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

Do you know when dodge went from a leaf spring to the coil set up? Why do you think they chose to switch?

2. THETANK

THETANK Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 R/T
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    I think leaf to coil was 2009/2010^^^^^^oh better ride with coils over leafs

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. WadXpress

WadXpress Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    HEMI
    I think the coils ride way better than leaf Springs.imo

4. Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I think the new F-150 is running leaf springs IIRC. If that is true, what does that say about leaf springs? I feel like my buddies 15' king ranch rides very smooth and handles well.

Could a well sorted leaf spring set up be better than what the ram currently has? Does the silverado have leaf springs still? I tried looking at their site for specs but could not find the info.

I just wish it was easier/ a better way to lower these trucks without issues... :emotions122:

5. bgray

bgray Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Everyone uses leafs on fullsizes except ram. They do it for ride quality.

But as soon as you lower them, its a complete shit show. Ride like shit, cant go low, and the factory geometry for the link bars is comical. I love my 16 sport, but id love it more with leafs and a flip kit with helper bags.

6. Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 R/T
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Don't forget that once the bushing settles you have to grease it. If you don't then it will start clunking again. I'd suggest greasing them every 5,000 miles or so.

7. Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

Do you think the Chevy and/or the Ford ride better stock vs stock than the Ram? I mean, does this different susp. setup Ram has even really ride better? I mean if it truly does that one be one thing, but if it rides about the same seems its just more PITA than anything. Though I guess the bulk of the consumers for the Ram 1500 are not lowering the truck...

Has anyone ever thought of converting their Ram to leaf spring? Or would that just cost way too much, be too difficult or not really gain much performance? I guess it would be converting truck to leaf spring suspension and lowering it (cost) vs. lowering the OEM set up with lowering kit, spohn parts, etc. (cost).

I have no idea what it would cost to convert to leaf spring....

8. bgray

bgray Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    in my personal experience no they don't ride better, but im not a chassis enginner. The money spent to convert to leafs would be much better spent re-linking the truck

9. Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    So people who have these say the del-sphere joint loosens up over time and that the clunking noise may be associated with the joint being loose. The problem if I understand correctly is the joints loosening up from the stress of driving. Do you have to remove the arms to actually tighten up the joints? Or can you just get under the truck and use the tool to tighten them without needed to take anything off?

Could a solution be to use some kind of loctite?

Would it be possible to use loctite on these without it inhibiting the free movement of the actual ball inside the joint?

10. razor1

razor1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I used a pin style spanner wrench to do the lowers on the truck , but uppers need to come off to do them. It's not that the adjustment ring comes loose, there is a lock screw to keep them in place. The joint ball and cups start to conform to each others shape , and I guess it takes a few rounds of adjustments to keep them tight through the transition .