Squeaky noise when engine is cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajhutter44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hi, whenever i start my 99 Ram when its cold there is a loud squeaking noise and Im unsure where to look. The belt is basically new and I tried scuffing the pulleys that the flat side ride on and that helped for maybe 3 days and now its back. The sound goes away once the truck has warmed up and gets worse when it has rained recently. Thanks for any help and I appreciate your responses!

Heres a video:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was actually about to make a post about a squeaking noise in my own truck, but it's quite a bit different than this.

Going from the sound in the video, it seems like metal on metal, kind of like an ungreased bearing. Is that what it sounds like in person?

Bad pulley maybe?
Or possibly your fan starting to go?

Can't explain why either of those would get worse in the rain, but they would probably sound worse when cold.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would suspect the tensioner pulley.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Watch the pulleys when its squeaking, specifically the water pump. The pulleys should have no movement in any direction other than around the center bolt/shaft. I'd spend a lot of time looking at the tensioner and idler pulleys, as well as the water pump pulley and fan clutch.