Squealling noise from front of 5.2 when cold but goes away when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rman1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This started a couple of years ago and I was told it's the fan belt. Didn't stop. Changed both idler pulleys, TWICE and still does it. Then changed the alternator and a/c compressor. Then someone said it was the water pump so I changed it too! only thing that I haven't changed is the power steering pump and fan clutch. It irritates me so much I want to smash the part to tiny bits when I find out what it is! I've used belt dressing and it didn't phase it. Can a water pump make that noise? It has the limetime warranty from Autozone. If anyone has had this happen I could sure use some advice. I've been doing mechanical work on cars all my life and never had something baffle me like this! Thanks for reading

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Have you tried running for a couple minutes while its making the noise-then shut the engine off and start checking pulleys for heat. If a belt is slipping on a pulley that pulley is going to get hot fast.

dropkicknick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
pulley alignment.
you can eyeball it or use a straight edge

stand off to the side and look at your pulleys, a slight misalignment will give you squeals

OP
OP
Rman1958

Rman1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How could I realign the pulleys? They only go on one way don't they? It started making this noise before I changed anything. Thought I'd start with the belt, and keep on till I eliminated it. Now everything's new, just annoys me. Quietens down after a minute or two MOST of the time.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
In your original post you said you changed both idler pulleys, was one of those the tensioner pulley?

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree the tensioner spring gets weak over time allowing the belt to slip. BTW, if you used dressing I would change out the belt too.

Oliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,2 V8
(heard from a friend of mine that in this case ... valves could be defective) :smoke2:
you don't tell about mileage ?...!
at same time .. nobody heard this noise here ;-) except you .. very hard to get a good advise .. and ... you can replace all the stuffs .. and spend 1000$ 1000$ instead of going to pro garage ;-) and FIX ..

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
(heard from a friend of mine that in this case ... valves could be defective) :smoke2:
you don't tell about mileage ?...!
at same time .. nobody heard this noise here ;-) except you .. very hard to get a good advise .. and ... you can replace all the stuffs .. and spend 1000$ 1000$ instead of going to pro garage ;-) and FIX ..

Valves? WTF are you talking about!? :untitled:

ouch1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
If it makes the noise consistently, pull the belt off and start the engine. If it still makes noise, it's not on the belt drive. If it doesn't make noise, you know the area you are looking at.