srt10 rear axel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Sooo.....mr.Loki here has found me a rear end from a 2000 srt10 and was nice enough to pass the info along, has a LSD and rear disc brakes, and if its worth my while, id be interested in grabbing it and having it shipped to me.

I would think it would mount up fine....

wondering what I would need to get the brakes to work...(I have drums)...

anything else yall can think of? really just wondering what all I would need to get this to work and if it will be worth it, thanks!

Codes

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I'm assuming that's some year other than a 2000 since SRT-10s weren't made in 2000. V-10s were availible in 3/4 and 1 -ton trucks only.

I just read your mod thread...it's a mid 2000s thats different. Do you lnow the rotor to rotor distance and the spring pad to spring pad distance. That will tell you some of what you'll need to redo if any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
oh oops, misread that earlier. I do not know that..maybe I should call some dodge tech's..maybe they would be able to tell me quicker then Id be able to find it on the net?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I would see if you could find a Mitchell interchange manual online. Mitchell manuals are what recyclers use to determine the interchangability of parts among like make vehicles.

I'm not sure that demensions are noted...its more of this fits and this won't kind of deal.

2001.5 offroads have disc brakes...so a mid 2000 might work. I think 1200 is way steep though. You could buld your rear for that and have change left over...which is plenty good for the power your motor produces.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
well, assuming the dimensions fit, like i said in your mod thread, you would need either a new combination valve, or an aftermarket adjustable porpotioning valve. drum brakes take ALOT more hydraulics to operate compared to disc brakes, so you if you don't change out the valve your new disc brakes would lock up when you hit the brakes. i've heard of people being able to get away with not messing with it, but i wouldn't do it. my 02 has rear disc, so in theory you should be able to get a combination valve for my truck, and put it on your truck. I know your brake booster is vaccum powered, while mine is hydraulic (off the power steering pump) but i don't see that changing anything with the brakes...than again i am 90% sure my front calipers are dual piston, and rears are single. so that would also need to be checked into, does the srt10 rears have single or dual piston calipers? does it have the same lug pattern as your truck? if anything, i would guess it would be wider than your stock axle. but would the stock shock mounting locations work? I saw it at my local "we will rip you off but own every junk yard in the area so your kinda screwed anyways" junk yard while i was grabbing something for my truck (freaking rip off but thats another story...) If i were you, i would check your junk yards, i bet there is one in there. But with a little fabrication, i know you can make it fit. i would be surprised if the srt10 has a smaller stance. If memory serves me, 01 was when they started offering rear disc in the 2500/3500. idk when they started it in the 1500 but i bet it was in the third gens. possibly also look into GM axles, the 14 bolt is stronger than a dana 60 any day of the week, and has a better lubrication design, and that was available in rear disc applications in the 2000s, and i believe all Z71s have LSDs. I think the RPO code is G80, so you can double check it there in the glove box for that. base model Z71s did not have a LSD, but uprated models did. I think a 14 bolt would work, but idk, these could just be the ramblings of a guy who just got off a 16 hour shift and found out there is a damn good chance everything he did today might have been pointless....

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its been years since I've thought about this swap, but seems the srt10 rear was a couple hundred pounds heavier? I could be thinking of another rear, but if it is, you will run a little slower over all from the added weight despite the lower gear change. Again, you can further check that cuz I'm going on old faded memories lol

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
thanks for the info guys, Loki...hope today is better then yesterday bud.

I put a request in on one of those junkyard databases last night for a early 2000's srt10 rear axle and got a few emails this morning. some are asking for a vin and some want me to call. don't think I'm gonna give out my vin..but I guess I could call and chat with them and see if they know about interchangeability? and ask if they know weights on on vs my 9.25?

Tapatalk Addict

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
sounds like a plan, depending on the style of junkyard the amount of help you'll get will vary. the yards with the newer stuff usually usually inventory their stuff better than some yards and will help more, other yards will tell you whether or not they have a truck for it out in the yard and beyond that you need to go look for yourself, but are ALOT cheaper. so prices will vary, but if you do your research you might be be able to figure out something that will work, that is not a newer "sought after" part that they are going to want an arm and a leg for, and it could be pretty much the exact same item. stiff like this research is king. lol.

and thanks bud, we will see, so far the meet time has been pushed back since we are waiting on the client to talk with the property owner and get us clear to go in. even though we aren't ever sure we can physically get our equipment to where it needs to be. so we will see. couldn've used more than 5 hours of sleep, but thats life. lol

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
The reason they want your VIN is to see what your truck came with stock, then try and sell you one of them. You have to tell them it is NOT a stock SRT and are looking for a project. most won't even answer after that as they don't want to deal with the headaches. I am looking into a new set of gears 3.93's and they are only $550 for gears and install kit. Now if you put it in yourself make sure you have someone help you thats done it before as you gota set the gap with a mag base dial indicator and if you dont do it right the gears will whine and may ruin them if not fixed.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
The reason they want your VIN is to see what your truck came with stock, then try and sell you one of them. You have to tell them it is NOT a stock SRT and are looking for a project. most won't even answer after that as they don't want to deal with the headaches. I am looking into a new set of gears 3.93's and they are only $550 for gears and install kit. Now if you put it in yourself make sure you have someone help you thats done it before as you gota set the gap with a mag base dial indicator and if you dont do it right the gears will whine and may ruin them if not fixed.

iv watched installs be done on tv, like 4x4 extreme, and while I know "how" to do it in theory, I would never trust myself to do it, and I dont know anyone who has done it before, so I would have to have it done by a professional if I go with a gear and lsd swap, and it comes out to about 1200 dollars.

At the mention of a srt10 swap, it sounded like it could be worth it since thats a install I could prob do myself, and maybe even upgrade to disc instead of drums.

I will respond to some of the emails and keep yall informed on what they have to say

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
keep us in the loop, but stay open to other options, third gen off road trucks, and other makes too if they will work.